• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iowa Triple Deuce Recovery

50shooter

Hi guys, I'm going to Camp Dodge on 2/20/09 for a recovery.

Anyone need anything looked at?

Anyone else going to be there picking up?

My folks did some recon there last week and said there was a "bunch" of trucks on the lot. My auction only had 11 so more are hopefully going on the block.

I'll be halling them all home, I know I am such a chicken but I want to go through them completely before ever hitting the open road. I-80 with unknown trucks scares me too much. Now I have all my spring work ahead of me.

Let me know if anyone needs anything while I'm out there.
Jason

Garlstedt

Not sure you'll get this before you're there, but if you do: can you look at 3962/7508, an M35a2 with no cargo cover. Just won it, and will be driving it to western Colorado. How does the engine, tires/ hubs and interior look. Also if you can let me know how the pickup went. Also won a M35a2 in Little Rock, so it's going to be interesting trying to get them both back. Any info will be appreciated!

50shooter

Sorry but I didn't see your post in time. I was up at out at 0330. As it turns out, I didn't even have time to check out the two 105's I won yesterday or the deuces that I wanted to take a look at.

I was able to start two of the trucks w/ little more than an either shot on one and the cold start switch on the other. The third truck required a pull. From what I gathered, all the trucks in the lot that mine were at (30 ish) were pulled from service last summer. They were indeed driven on to the lot....last Aug./Sep.

Tires = almost 100% including new spare on two of mine.
Interior = typical for well utilized Guard trucks. Some wear and tear but servicable.
Fuel = One full, one half, one 1/4 Whether thats a good thing for trucks sitting 7 or 8 months. You can bet it isn't winter diesel
Tool box = BOOTY, airline, fire ext. flare kit +++
Batteries = mine were 06 or newer except the dead one. They were really dead so am assuming frozen as well.

No oil slicks observed.
The trucks are packed in. If you are on an edge, no sweat. Trucks in the middle will require a bit of shake and bake.
Some open windows or broke

There was only one person avail. for the pickup. He was very helpful but busy.

Loading dock is the best I've seen. Two hights for standard 48" and low boys.

Plenty of room for a pull start.

I live about 250 miles away and I'm glad I hired flatbeds. I don't want to scare you off but only one of the three I picked up would not have given me an anxiety attack driving it that far. They appear to be decent trucks but I'm not driving mine until they get a front to back.

The long time members on here have much more knowledge than I. Please check some of their recovery checklist posts for more info.