• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP pump fuel feed line question.

cucvrus

Hello and thanks for having me here! Phenomenal site!! I recently purchased an 85 M1009. I noticed that the fuel feed line to the IP pump had been split seemingly on purpose. Anyone know why the previous owner would do such a thing?
Unclear on your question. What you are showing is an after market fuel filter. All I see is that the stock Stanadyne box fuel filter assembly has been replaced with something different then original. Should be the same as long as it is plumbed correctly and has the internal heater and water sensor. I hope that helps.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello and thanks for having me here! Phenomenal site!! I recently purchased an 85 M1009. I noticed that the fuel feed line to the IP pump had been split seemingly on purpose. Anyone know why the previous owner would do such a thing?
Welcome to the outfit! Glad you have managed to find some good information.
There are quite a few really sharp folks here that enjoy offering suggestions too.

Barrman

The part of the hose running from the splice to the injection pump is probably the original one and the proper length for the stock square fuel filter. Whoever put the spin on filter on the truck probably didn't want to go through the hassle of getting under the intake manifold to put in a new proper length hose. I know I didn't on the first spin on filter conversion I did. I have since gone in and replaced the hose with a proper length one.

I have found a 1/4" drive ratchet with a short 1/4" socket installed works well to get the hose clamp off the IP end of the hose. I put a lawn chair cushion over the radiator and front of the engine so I can just lay up there and snake my arm in from the rear by the vacuum pump. Of course, you might get lucky and be able to run a socket or screw driver in from the side between the intake runners. Your hands still have to get in there for hose removal and installation though.

Hawkez

Thanks all for the replies! This is my first diesel and first MV baby. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't supposed to be an orifice, a check valve, or some other part that should be there. I would have to agree with Barrman; that it was done that way due to inaccessibility to the pump side of the line. I am going to replace it with a solid line then. It shouldn't be too difficult for me with this guidance and my tiny hands. 😅

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks