• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Shim Kits MEP-003

Crawdaddy

I took the injector pump off my MEP-003 to find the IP locked up. When I took the IP off, I also found the shims between the IP and block are pretty rusted and chunks of the front shim are gone. I know these shims set the gear mesh and stay with the block, but I'm in need of new ones. Who can I get a shim kit from? It appears to be part number 147-0145, NSN 5365-00-421-9922. Who can get me this kit? I'm going to call Tom at Gulf Coast Trucks and Delks today to see if they have it. Perhaps I should aim for getting the master IP install kit part number 147-0305 NSN 2910-01-038-5250 just in case I need to change buttons?

Also, how do I re-set the gear mesh? I looked through the -34 TM and didn't see it listed. I am going to try to use a caliper to measure the total thickness of the shim pack but I don't know how accurate or possible that will be considering the highly degraded state of the shims.

Crawdaddy

Never mind on the setting shim thickness part of my question. I re-read the -34 TM and found that it's supposed to be stamped in the block and the TM also has the manual way to measure for the shims. Hopefully I can read the number and don't have to guess.

Carl_in_NH

I'd just clean up an area of the shim pack you've removed from the block and measure it with a micrometer (don't use a dial caliper - a mic is the proper tool for this if you want a reliable answer). Don't know if you'll find a shim kit somewhere, or if you'll have to make it from shim stock. Making it would be my choice. Shim stock is inexpensive, and easy to work with simple, sharp tools.

Isaac-1

You can try checking with Cummins-Onan the 147-0305 is a standard Onan part number, just be prepared for sticker shock if the part is still available.

Ike

Crawdaddy

I just got off the phone with Delk's. He either has or can get the shim kit from what he says. I was not given a price because he was at lunch, but I expect it to be high. But, I need them, so I'll have to pay the price.

Thanks for the civy part number Ike.

I don't have a micrometer handy. I was hoping to just measure the whole pack at once. Even better, I'm hoping to find the required shim thickness stamped into the block below the shims like the manual says it's supposed to be, but something tells me mine will not, just to throw me off.

rickf

I didn't know Delks had anything under 50.00! And if you get the guy I got on the phone you can hear one call the price out, 50.00, and then the guy on the phone tells you 75.00! Think he is padding his pockets?:x

Rick

Carl_in_NH

I'm not surprised they are that inexpensive - I'm totally shocked they are that inexpensive!

Thanks for running that down; it would be more than $10 worth of effort to cut them out of shim stock.

Crawdaddy

Does anyone know where the total shim thickness is supposed to be stamped on the block? I looked all over the injector pump mounting surface on the block and the only thing I can possibly see is what I think is a "2" near the upper left mounting stud, and that might not be a 2. I have 3 shims in the shim pack that seem to measure about .01" each.

Carl_in_NH

I saw no numbers on mine when I had it apart; I'd measure the shims. Borrow a mic if you need to, or purchase an inexpensive one from HF. Failing that, you can mail the shims to someone to measure if need be. PM me if you can't find a way to measure them locally.

Crawdaddy

To be honest, using a mic would also yield inaccurate results because each shim has at LEAST .001" of rust on them. Seriously, the gear lash probably wasn't right because of the rust between the shims anyway. I might have to build a setup to measure it from scratch with a caliper and some flatbar or something.

Are the shims somehow labeled to indicate their thickness? Again, I have to find something under rust without distorting or destroying the paper-thin shim. This shim issue is going to be the death of me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks