• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP timing does this seem too retarded ?

unaffiliated

Snap On never sold a timing light adapter for diesels. Mac and Ferret did. Snap On MT480 uses a luminosity probe and "sees" the start of ignitlon. GM Kent Moore and Ford Rotunda had something similar.

Mac and Ferret sold the diesel timing light adapter. My Ferret #765 cost me around $100 five years ago. They still sell them but the price has gone up.
It hears the injection pulse and triggers a conventional timing light.

Since the Ferret reads injection pulses and the Snap On reads combustion - there's a lag between the two readings. Usually around 5 engine degrees.
I have a Snap On timing adapter for diesels. It has a wire with a little clamp thingy that goes around the #1 injector line. The wire goes to a box, not sure what's in the box. On the box is a wire loop coming out the other side. You connect a regular timing light lead around this loop just as you would the #1 plug wire. It magically converts the fuel pulse to read timing. I will try to locate it and post pictures and model number.

acesneights1

Snap On never sold a timing light adapter for diesels. Mac and Ferret did. Snap On MT480 uses a luminosity probe and "sees" the start of ignitlon. GM Kent Moore and Ford Rotunda had something similar.

Mac and Ferret sold the diesel timing light adapter. My Ferret #765 cost me around $100 five years ago. They still sell them but the price has gone up.
It hears the injection pulse and triggers a conventional timing light.

Since the Ferret reads injection pulses and the Snap On reads combustion - there's a lag between the two readings. Usually around 5 engine degrees.
The Snap On MT480 is specifically designed for 6.2 diesels. It works fine.
Doghead, Thank's for the clarification on the tach n time. That was the one tool I was not sure of. I had wanted to get one but I came across an MT480 cheap with all the adaptors.

Matt1031

This did the trick. I must have gotten a bad tank. I think advancing the timing to the scribe mark helped with power overall, but changing the fuel filter definitely fixed the problem with power at higher RPM. I feel like an idiot for not checking this sooner. :oops:I will check my receipts and find out which station it was. I think I know. A buddy who is a diesel mechanic says Charlotte is really bad about bad diesel. He says to go just outside of Charlotte and you are a lot better off. Of course, living on the border of NC and SC helps because fuel in SC is at least 30 cents cheaper.
Glad that did it. If you ever cut a stock filter open you'll see why they clog up pretty easily - there's not much filter element area in there. If you weren't sure when the filter was last changed, then it probably needed changing anyway.

If you swap over to a spin on filter setup they tend to flow a lot better and you can get more miles out of them between changes. Napa sells a spin-on kit for something like $30 that's much better than the stock filter. if you want something even better yet, search "racor" in Ebay and look for a combo sedimenter/filter.

NCBloodhound

I had changed the filter in April, so it wasn't that old. I honestly think I got a really bad tank of diesel. My gauge is broken so I believed I was really low and went to the closest station instead of my usual one. I won't be going back there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks