• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IR Driving Lights Mounting Location?

Gypsyman

Picked up a pair of the IR driving lights to add to the Deuce. Looking at the mounting locations/options raised a few questions though.

Option 1: Mounted on the fender using modified turn signal mounts/guards as shown below. This is the cleanest but since I have a winch truck it seems that the bumper (being extended for the winch) will cause a very large cutoff area ahead of the truck with most of the light hitting the back side of the bumper. If you are running using night vision you won't be going very fast and really need to be able to see up close to the front of the truck.

Option 2: Above or below the bumper. Above the bumper mounted to the reinforcement plate by the shackles could interfere with the headlights. Below the bumper opens the lights up to increased damage potential.

Option 3: Light bar above the cab. I could see this option really lighting up the hood and fenders thus lowering the ability to see ahead of you with NV.

Thoughts?

AUX LTS 006.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you commit to a location, I have IR lights mounted on the roof of my M923. I get home December 6th and will test them with my IR camera and upload some pics to give you an idea of how they do.

My IR lights are from the MRAP kit, but the reflectiveness(?) from the hood etc should be similar.

I'll test it with the bar alone and the spots alone for you.

Screenshot_20221130_051600.jpg

Screenshot_20221130_051630.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind those armor-type IR lights have both hi & lo beam filaments. The housing is ground.

There is a special floor dimmer button with twin circuits for service drive and IR drive.

Usually fed thru a SPDT toggle switch on the dash, that fed from the BO Drive ckt in the light switch.

Gypsyman

Keep in mind those armor-type IR lights have both hi & lo beam filaments. The housing is ground.

There is a special floor dimmer button with twin circuits for service drive and IR drive.

Usually fed thru a SPDT toggle switch on the dash, that fed from the BO Drive ckt in the light switch.
I wasn't aware of that. One more thing on the list of items to track down. =)

Reactions: HDN

ToddJK

Another option would be mounting the lights on the bumper, without the guard if possible, but mounting them just outside the last bolt from the frame support, it won't interfere with the headlights and the wiring can be ran inside the bumper and on the inside of the frame. If you don't want to drill additional holes, could remove the last bolt on each side and mount the lights there. I mounted my amber lights like that and it has worked great, good light coverage on the road, not affected by any road debris or anything so far, and no damage from off road trails. It's a thought, but if you did mount them on the fender, I think the amount of light lost or blocked by the bumper would be minimal, but it's worth a test when you get time before anything is permanent. I added a picture of how I did my lights on the bumper so you have an idea of how that will look. It's functional more so than attractive 🤷

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since those IR's have hi/lo beam filaments, I never had a navigation problem with them.

At least before some SOB stole my NV goggles.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put white LED lights in my IR housings and mounted them on the grille. I considered fender mounts, but went with this so I didn’t have to source another set of flat top light guards to match the turn signals.
80166F75-5AF8-4758-930D-3D0D85C9C055.jpeg

Gypsyman

I have a PVS-7, a PVS-14, and just received an RNVG. I think the RNVG will do best for driving since it offers depth perception due to the dual tube design. Sorry to hear about the loss of your NVG. Not much lower in my book than a thief.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey bud, got around to testing with my IR camera.

Whatever driving you'll be doing, it won't be fast. It may be my camera wasn't as sensitive as a set of GI IR goggles, but I had the best results from the bumper mounted lights. Here's a video, it may still be processing...

Gypsyman

Very cool. Thanks a million for taking the time to do that Ken. Wish I could have been sitting there with NODs on for the test. I'm going to do a jury rig for the fender location to check under NODs but I have a feeling that bumper mount is going to be the winning location.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks