• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iraq gets lots of HMMWVs

GoldComet6

Good idea or bad idea to sell them? :?:

Iraq Gets Humvees, Mulls Other Purchases

By kris osborn
Published: 16 Jan 18:36 EST (23:36 GMT)

The Iraqi Army has received several thousand Humvees from the U.S. Army and Air Force, part of an effort to refurbish and transfer 8,500 vehicles by July, Army officials said.

Iraqi will pay about $200 million for the vehicles under the program, which is administered by the U.S. Multi-National Security Transition Command, Iraq (MNSTC-I).

The Humvee is just one of several weapons Iraq is looking to buy.
"We are assisting them, but ultimately it is their decision regarding how they want to build up their Army," said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Gary Kolb, spokesman for MNSTC-I in Baghdad.
The Humvees will go first to the Camp Taji Redistribution Property Assistance Team Yard, a few miles north of Baghdad.
"The vehicles are cleaned, inspected, and processed through a maintenance program that refurbishes the vehicles from the ground up," U.S. Army Col. Michael Sage, MNSTC-I supply division manager said in an Army statement.
Sage said every Humvee then will be reinspected, repainted for use by the Iraqi Army or National Police forces, then inspected once again for acceptance by the Iraqis and U.S. government.
Humvee-maker AM General hopes to help refurbish the vehicles, said company spokesman Craig Mac Nab.

Other Potential Purchases

Various other potential purchases are currently in various stages of review.
Last fall, the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) approved the sale of six C-130Js, and the Iraqis have, as required, deposited part of the funds in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
"We are in the process of reviewing the situation and reviewing the offer. I can't offer it to the Iraqis until it has run that course," said Luckey.
Last summer, the Iraqi interior ministry requested approval to buy 80 ASVs, which the DSCA approved and notified Congress about. Now the ministry is trying to decide how many they want to buy - perhaps up to 400, DSCA officials said.
A letter of request from the Iraqis for 400 Strykers went through Congress in the last several weeks, Luckey said.
The Iraqis, who received approval last fall to buy 140 Abrams tanks, have placed an initial deposit and are now looking to buy 140 more, Luckey said.
"I have not yet been able to offer those to the Iraqis," he said.
Iraq's Ministry of Defense has also expressed interest in buying 400 M2 HB .50-cal Browning machine guns, up to 400 M1117 Armored Security Vehicles (ASVs), 400 M1126 Infantry Carrier Vehicles and eight Heavy Duty Recovery Trucks, according to one DCSA official.
The Iraqi Ministry of Interior has already purchased U.S. pistols, said U.S. Army Brig. Gen. Charles Luckey, MNSTC-I's deputy commanding general for security assistance.
"In the past, the Ministry of Interior ordered 9mm sidearm and 9mm Berettas for police officers, funded through the Mininstry. In this case, the weapons have already been shipped for security forces. The Iraqis signed a letter of request, December 2007," said Luckey.

Approval Process

Luckey said his office in Baghdad, which advises and helps the Iraqis buy gear, is meant to connect Iraq's interests with the Pentagon's acquisition system.
"My view or my role in that regard is to sort through and talk to them [the Iraqis] about various options - leave it to them to decide what they really want to buy, both officers and senior civilians," Luckey said. "Every request the Iraqis have comes through this office. That letter of request is sent back to the U.S. DSCA, then it is sent to one of the services that would have responsibility for overseeing that program or capability."
If the DSCA sends a letter of acceptance about the Iraqi request, Luckey sends it on to Iraq's director general for armament and supply.
"If they elect to purchase the system, they have to deposit the money in a trust account in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. The money still belongs to the government of Iraq. It is escrowed, essentially. This way we can make sure that when we start ginning up a production line there will be money held for that case."
That money does accrue interest for Iraq until it is spent, Luckey said.
The Security Assistance office also helps Iraqis with training, infrastructure and building roads or barracks.

The link to story....
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3906376&c=MID&s=TOP

deuceman51

9mm, .50 cals, C130s, and humvees YES, Selling them our best tank and best APC that is still somewhat new to us NO I can't believe they are selling a foreign power the M1 tank????? Granted the whole lend lease thing has been around for quite some time, but I think it has also bit us in the butt more than a few times also. Must mean we have something coming soon that is even better than the abrams??

Westech

CPL
well if they are selling the M1 tank you know what that means..... The M1 has been around for a while, I bet there will be a new one coming out.

And yes I'm Calling it!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I seem to recall an article in the Armor magazine back in the mid-90's entitled something like

"Abrams: Last of the Main Battle Tanks" and how the future wars concept will place a greater emphasis on helicopters (recon, armed, and transport) and lighter armor capable of being transported world wide on short notice by aircraft.

It's a matter of debate. For the Abrams, they will also need a nice supply of spares and fuel. Granted, they sit on a lot of oil but it must be refined somewhere. Target acquisition being such that it is, it wouldn't take long to run a threat out of fuel.

GoldComet6

I just hate to see an Iraqi Abrams "get lost" and end up in Tehran. I'm sure Iran would love to get a few for inspection or to try and copy.

I keep hearing many nations are not developing new MBTs. They plan on using the current models (Abrams, LeClerc, Challenger, Leopard II) for decades more with upgrades and rebuilds. Perhaps the next ones will be remotely operated from miles away and will consist of a gun, hull and no crew.

1OFONLY10UKH1

Banned
Dear All,

Great just found this amazing forum - glad to be part of the Steel Soldiers - Listen guys I have some items that I need to locate for my 1998 H1 Wagon

4 x Kevlar X doors

1 x roof hatch from a Military spec HMMWV - yes yes I know they are supposed to leak but thats my deal I will sort just the part please

the Pin spot light for the front of the truck that is used for the Convoys to help to disperse the light from Ariel vision goes on the er...left hand side at the front lights their is a space for it...

Let me know guys have couriers ready to roll with $$$$$$$$ whole Continental US wide no problem.

Check out my site at www.arniestyle.com I am waving the Flag for H1's in the UK .....I am the only one regularly driving past Buckingham Palace to remind the Queen of England about the Steel Soldiers the H1 Movement!!!

Lets Lock and load

Regards

Mark

avengeusa

I can't help but think that someday that equipment will be used against us. Just about every country in that area that we think are freindly ends up our enemy.

AMEN!

I hate to think of my son fighting enemies in our vehicles

the same vehicles and weapons in enemy hands makes for more confusion in identification

gunboy1656

It's been happening alot, We sold iraq alot of stuff to help Iraq fight Iran...the Afgahns to fight the russian in the 80's, and both times had to destroy the same equipment we sold them.....anyone see a trend here?

And the Iraqis were getting our stuff when I was over in '04, we were told anything that had the "hillbilly armor", or even the up armored doors had to stay in country.

Scott

combat32

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not the equipment that is as important as the quality of the soldiers using it.Doubt they can keep anything operational very long on their own anyway, but I wish they would give me just one!:-D

Bart

Dear All,

Great just found this amazing forum - glad to be part of the Steel Soldiers - Listen guys I have some items that I need to locate for my 1998 H1 Wagon

4 x Kevlar X doors

1 x roof hatch from a Military spec HMMWV - yes yes I know they are supposed to leak but thats my deal I will sort just the part please

the Pin spot light for the front of the truck that is used for the Convoys to help to disperse the light from Ariel vision goes on the er...left hand side at the front lights their is a space for it...

Let me know guys have couriers ready to roll with $$$$$$$$ whole Continental US wide no problem.

Check out my site at www.arniestyle.com I am waving the Flag for H1's in the UK .....I am the only one regularly driving past Buckingham Palace to remind the Queen of England about the Steel Soldiers the H1 Movement!!!

Lets Lock and load

Regards

Mark
check this out:
This guy in california has lots of new and used doors for Humvees,
John 909-938-5834
www.jkmilitary.com

+ closer to home.....:wink:
HUMMER World Run 2009

panzerjunky

Just a thought
my Nephew is a Marine tanker he told me that or at least the scuttlbutt is that the U.S. military will be phasing out heavy armor as there is nothing a tank can do that a Helicopter cant and the chopper can trasport itself ( I asked him how do you take cover behind a Helicopter ) But has anyone else heard of this?
thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not the equipment that is as important as the quality of the soldiers using it.Doubt they can keep anything operational very long on their own anyway, but I wish they would give me just one!:-D
Yes I agree but I would hate to be the poor S.O.B that has to stop an Abrams No mater what side it is on.

southdave

9mm, .50 cals, C130s, and humvees YES, Selling them our best tank and best APC that is still somewhat new to us NO I can't believe they are selling a foreign power the M1 tank????? Granted the whole lend lease thing has been around for quite some time, but I think it has also bit us in the butt more than a few times also. Must mean we have something coming soon that is even better than the abrams??
You know there is Factory in Egypt, clone of the one toldeo that builds M1s and bradleys I think. since cater was president Part of camp david peace crap..lol

Last edited: