• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IRISH Glow Plug woes

HOWEY

Ok, i have searched and read previous posts and think i have an understanding on how to fix this problem....

Had two gps go bad so ordered 8 ac60gs from the good old USA, installed them today, fitted new insulated female spade connectors and heat shrink for good measure, so ign on.... wait.....wait off.... start.... starts great, let fast idle trip off after a few mins and turn her off, roger so far??

Went to restart her, would not fire, could smell unburnt diesel in exhaust gases, i noticed that my volt gauge was not dropping slightly as it used too when the gps cycled, feared the worst and pulled a glow pug, benched tested it and it was burnt out, as was the next 7 :mad:

Im getting 24volts at my gp wires?? Why??
Im thinking its either the resister bank gone bad or the relay(clicks on and off as norma?l).
Should i bite the bullet and do the resister bypass mod?
looking for some help....... thanks guys

Attachments

ralbelt

Do the bypass, from the ST85 glow plug relay to the 12V diamond shaped terminal. Red wire in the Pic. Don't forget to disconnect the 24V feed and tape it up.

Attachments

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If you are getting 24V at all 8 of the glow plug wires, and the battery voltage isn't dropping when they're engaged, then that sounds like they're open circuits to me. I don't know why they might have burned out.

If you unplug each wire and measure the unplugged glow plug's resistance to ground (the engine block) with a meter, you should get a pretty low resistance. From the symptom you describe, I suspect that they will look like open circuits.

HOWEY

update...

Well did the resistor bypass and found 12volts at the gp wires, only problem was that it was constant as the relay didnt cycle on and off as normal, decided to clean up all electric terminals and reinstalled resistor and put back in 6 of the good old plugs (13g) and started first time and cycled as it should????

Im stumped:confused: , attached a pic of one of the worst blown brand new plugs (11g).
Was told that the 11g plug is the same as the 60g, is this true?
What plugs should i buy now?

Attachments

baddy3

No, Ac60g is far more superior, especially if you have a manual push button ignition set up. I put in the set of 60gs two years ago, in winter wife holds the button on for 30+ seconds, etc…. checked them few days ago, all as good as new…… but I do not know if they are a right choice in combination with the glow plug module…..

Hasdrubal

The 11g and 13G plugs are obsolete and discontinued. They were prone to swell. The AC60 plugs are the replacement. I've used them for 7 years, they are great plugs. They just require more time to heat up, so I have a push button switch instead of card actuation. When you said the relay was not cycling, how much time are we talking here, because AC60's can require twice the burn time as the old plugs. You might want to follow the troubleshooting section of the TM's for you card.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks