• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iron butt relocation ride!

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a lot of debates and discussion with the wife we have decided to relocate in late June to Warner Robins Georgia from Amarillo. I will be driving my 1966 M35A2 and M105a2 full of personal affects and my wife will trail in the car. I have a ton of spare partsim taking , with in the past 2 years I rebuilt the HH, injectors, new water pump, completely replaced the entire brake system, EGT & boost gauge, new wheel bearings and 12.00-20 tires. I'm planning on doing all the pretrip maintenance before I go. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should risk being slow talking the Texas highway across or less risk taking the Oklahoma highway. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has done this? Or any advice on these roads? I do plan on upgrading the butt/back cushions. I will also be bringing 5x 55 gallons of spare oil that's been run through my centrifuge. If anyone would like to volunteer information for where I can find parts along the way if needed it would be greatly appreciated. So far I'm thinking 55mph the whole way.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to keep in mind: hydration hydration hydration! You'll be sweating a LOT during that drive. Be sure you bring plenty of water in the truck with you and be sure to replenish electrolytes (it's what plants crave!).

If you get tired, pull over!

If I'm home from offshore when you pass through Louisiana, I am about 90 miles south of I-20 pretty much all across Louisiana. I have a 5 ton with woop-woop lights and a tow bar and will absolutely come running if you find yourself in trouble.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to keep in mind: hydration hydration hydration! You'll be sweating a LOT during that drive. Be sure you bring plenty of water in the truck with you and be sure to replenish electrolytes (it's what plants crave!).

If you get tired, pull over!

If I'm home from offshore when you pass through Louisiana, I am about 90 miles south of I-20 pretty much all across Louisiana. I have a 5 ton with woop-woop lights and a tow bar and will absolutely come running if you find yourself in trouble.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

I plan on it, going to have one of the kids in the truck one in the car. Your right lots of hydration and frequent stops. I figure I'm going to take my time and only drive 8 hours a day maximum. Only two big worries. Being so slow I become a road hazard and sense my truck is registered in Texas as a former military vehicle I'm not required to have plates so not sure how police may take it. I figure I might have better luck driving in my camo and with orders in hand.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving my 5-ton for years, I've found the only thing cops want is to pass you.

Blow the scales too, the military doesn't stop for them.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I not sure how police may take it. I figure I might have better luck driving in my camo and with orders in hand.
Both my 5 ton and M715 are registered as FMVs in Louisiana and have no plates. As @G744 stated, don't worry about them or the scales. The scales are for commercial vehicles, not us. Carry a copy of the pertinent Texas law with you in your registration/insurance paperwork.

As far as being slow goes, I've hauled my M715 to Texas at a sedate 50-55 on the interstate, and other than having the pucker factor when the big rigs blew my door off, no issues.

What you may want to do is have communication with your chase vehicle so they can "block" for you during lane changes/highway merging. Let them know you need to change via blinkers and voice, they move over to the other lane to allow room for you to move over.

You can also go to a Tractor Supply or such and get a reflective triangle for the rear of your truck to help visibility.

One of the things I do while hauling my M715 either via trailer or flat towing is put my safety yellow "CONVOY AHEAD" placard on the M715 and turn on my "woop woop" lights, as I'm a slow moving vehicle.

Technically not a convoy, but it is hi-vis, so theoretically other drivers can see me better.

8 hours of driving is A LOT in these trucks. Definitely plan on a day of rest when you get "home". Even 2.5 - 3 hours will exhaust you.

I'll pm my contact info to you.

20230526_063008.jpg
20230304_151412.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks