• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iron Mike Museum, Columbus, GA open Saturdays 1000-1600 hrs.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
http://www.ironmikemuseum.org/
A bunch of old, retired Air Force, Army and Marine veterans hang out at the Iron Mike Museum every Saturday from 1000-1600 hours. Kids are encouraged to touch, get into and sometimes ride a WWII Half Track, Deuce, 5 ton dump, various Jeeps and a M114 (when there are enough ground guides). You can listen to or add to tall tales and war stories, or just look around. It won't cost you nothing, but time.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Iron Mike Museum, Columbus, GA open Saturdays 1000-1600

Cool! What is the vehicle on the left? Looks like an M37, but not, looks like an M38, but not. Someone left the door open on the halftrack...the dome light is gonna kill the batteries.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Iron Mike Museum, Columbus, GA open Saturdays 1000-1600

that would be a cool place for mini SS GA .meet, convoy in and have a fun afternoon

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
The vehicle to the left is a FAV (Fast Attack Vehicle) M151A2 that was used in Grenada. It had a M60 machine gun mounted on the passenger side, and a .50 cal mounted up top. A Command Sgt Major said he used one, and they were all painted black. Had a crew of six and were mainly used at night.
Everybody is welcome any Saturday (everybody works during the week). Bring yer junk and show us what ya got.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have met Larry ("Papa Bear" on SS) who is one of the movers and shakers of the museum.
He and the whole crew are good folks.
We are working with the GA MPVA and the Dixie Division (AL) of the MPVA about holding a big event next spring.
Columbus has a lot to offer for us MV oriented folks. There is Fort Benning, the new Infantry Museum (located near the Iron Mike Museum), the Confederate Gunboat Museum and lots of other places to go. There are motels and eating joints aplenty nearby. If you like military gear there are several shops that sell new and used stuff.
If you are in the area on a Saturday the museum is loacted at the Farmers Market just off of Victory Drive about a mile from the bridge over the Chattahooche river.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Jason......obviously Ugly meant an M60 MG. We don't mind the hazzing....it's part of life. We do what we do to honor our Veterans and those in service now.
Our little museum is manned by just a few good men...and some women who help out when they can. We are proud of our efforts.
If you knew Ugly, you would know that he not only knows what an M60 is but he has used it...in combat.
We may not be perfect in our computer skills or even good in communication skills, but by GOD ALMIGHTY...we are retirees and Veterans who are proud to be!!

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think It is great to say the least. I hope to visit someday. You wonderful people keep it up. I`d be there right beside you but the comute/ drive daily would be a little much from N.C. :D [thumbzup]

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's the spirit Neil......and the support is much appreciated. If ya get a chance to come this way let me know. We will arrange for you to see our stuff.....you won't be disappointed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
73m819....Clinto is in charge of the GA SS Rallys and has plans already made for this year. We will support those plans as best we can within mission requirements. We have offered him our area for some sort of rally next year. We have lots of strong points but really have no trail ride etc areas.
I've learned it's best to leave things to those with the experience so we will be talking to Clinto and see what he thinks about a rally being held here. It's all good as long as we do something to keep the spirit alive.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i ment something on the order of a little sat get-to gether sometime with some advance notice
as faw as clint being in the commander of the ga rallys , i learned a long time ago that if the commander is doing a good job (which he is) let him stay in command other wise if i make waves i cuold be told "IF YOU CAN DO IT BETTER YOU DO IT" in this case that would not be a better idea

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jason: I changed it to M60 in my post. Thanks for catching the mistake. I took your comment in the way it was intended, and pulled my head out of the fourth point of contact.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
73M819 I totally agree with your post above. We would love to host a mini one day rally for anyone who just wants to get together, hang out and mutually admire each others MV's. We're like that here. No BS, no...that's not correct, just hey...I did the best I could with what I could get and here it is - type stuff.
We have plenty of room to do whatever needs to be done (-) trail riding etc.
We are open every Saturday if any of you fellers just want to drive over and hang for awhile...maybe cook up some burgers or sumpin.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
very nice looking truck neilhendrix....if you come down to our place maybe ya better drive a POV. That truck would make all our deuces ashamed of themselves.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a close up of the FAV? You guys are doing a great job on the museum. I have seen first hand how hard it is to maintain a collection of vehicles. It is ALOT of work and appreciated by only a few people. Keep up the good work. One of these days, I will make it out east to the places and gatherings there. I'll warn you when that time comes.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I recall correctly go on a friday and you can also catch the latest Airborne class doing their final jumps to earn their wings. The other classes will be in ground week or tower week and those are great action pack adventures to take in as well. I am trying to get the SF guys here to let me jump with them in Korea just because I just turned 54 is not a detriment but an encouragement...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks