• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipaa

This whole "buy an M923A2 and have fun" is a joke! I won a bid on an M923A2 from Iron Planet last week! HA! You cannot register it in Michigan without lying about the origin. You cannot insure it, you cannot drive it on the road as it does not meet FMVSL in effect at time of manufacture. No one would insure. I called Hagerty. NOPE! USAA-NOPE! State Farm-NOPE! Too big, non conforming VIN, we changed our underwriting rules on and on.

So, who out there is really driving these things and how did you "register" it? I do not need the advice I got from Wisconsin that said, "Just give different date of manufacture and title it as a Chevy...."

If I seem pissed, **** yeah I am! I had to pay a $1500 fee to IRONRIPOFF because I "defaulted." Their advertising is misleading and I am taking them to small claims court to get my money back.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not sure why you had all this trouble, there are a LOT of MVs including 939s registered in Michigan, this has nothing to do with IP, not there fault that you are having these issues.

hipaa

USAA
American Collectors
Nationwide
Gulfway
Hagerty
Auto Club
Geico
State Farm
Erie Insurance Group
Tower Hill
Encompass
Amica
Progressive

None will insure. No problems here means squat. What do you own? How and where did you title? Did you lie to title? Who insures it? How did you insure it? Do not waste my time with BS replies!

Shark Bait

I have 5 MV's insured. No problem. A HET, an MK48, an LMTV and 2 M931A2's. Titled in WV. Supplied my insurance company with pictures, interior, gauges, right side, left side, rear, front and both sides of engine.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have owned over 350 military trucks and have had atleast 100 of them tagged and titled and insured in Pa.No BS here.....Try J.C.Taylor...No lying needed...........................................................................

tim292stro

I have a 40' 1984 Gillig Phantom transit bus insured with Progressive (via USAA), I am aware in the policy declarations I had to confirm it was not a school-bus. It may simply be that the people you talked to had a specific military vehicle type in mind when you were talking to them which did not fit their criteria, something that perhaps escalating the request above a front-line grunt might have fixed. I would have still picked the truck up (low-boy or otherwise) - or hit the panic button here before defaulting, someone else might have been able to take it off your hands.

Non-conforming VIN just means they couldn't do a simple search of it (probably because it was a federally owned vehicle, never in the civilian system), not that it can't be entered into any system for a new registration. I have seen VINs like: 1DEADBEEF34... I'm pretty sure that doesn't follow any manufacturer's VIN standard (that's not to say it's invalid though).

Doesn't sound like IP did anything wrong here IMHO, so no need to drag their name through the mud in your annoyance.

hipaa

Shark Bait that answers nothing. What did you use for a 17 digit VIN? How is it insured? By what insurance company? I own a farm and live in the country and State Farm and Farm Bureau laughed at me said "NO WAY!" My $50,000 JD5520 is insured with Great American and I have been a USAA member since 1989. They said "too big/heavy." Great American said no ex-MV. Somebody is up to shenanigans and good luck if you really have to make a claim!

painter paul

The people that don't recognize anything other than a 17 digit Vin are for one thing young,2nd uninformed. I had a truck licensed and registered that was so old it had a 4 digit Vin. Here the people dealing with Vin numbers enter them into their computer, the program comes back with something like "nonconforming" Vin. Then they have to know enough to press an override key and enter the less than 17 digit Vin.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hipaa it may sound like its the end of the world as you describe, is this YOUR FIRST MV purchase? Every state has their little things that you have to work through but it is all able to be done. My first word of advice to you is SLOW DOWN on the tirade a bit, it will really get you no where fast! If you really did default on your purchase through GP then your done with that one but you just need to research this all a bit BEFORE you buy so when the time hits that you get a truck you then have your plan all laid out and your ready to progress to titling and licensing. As far as suing GP all I am going to say to you is that 1500.00 is gone, your going to waste a whole lot more than that trying to bring up a legal claim against them and in the end your going to lose! In case your all done with your flame spewing and still interested in buying a truck there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site that would be happy to help you, but again to make that happen you have to lose the attitude that its THEIR fault!
Good luck
Karl

trooper632

HIPAA, I have a M931a2 insured through Farm Bureau here in Texas. They were alittle confused with the non 17 character VIN. I took pictures of the data plate in the vehicle and gave it to them and they have it insured.

hipaa

Progressive is also reviewing their policies. I talked to Dwayne at 18007764737 (Progressive) Extension 9100948 Progressive is NOT insuring the 939 series. I was attempting to insure this as a COMMERCIAL vehicle! I could not even do that!

Shark Bait

Shark Bait that answers nothing. What did you use for a 17 digit VIN? How is it insured? By what insurance company? I own a farm and live in the country and State Farm and Farm Bureau laughed at me said "NO WAY!" My $50,000 JD5520 is insured with Great American and I have been a USAA member since 1989. They said "too big/heavy." Great American said no ex-MV. Somebody is up to shenanigans and good luck if you really have to make a claim!
Two have a 17 digit VIN, one has a 9 digit VIN two have a 7 digit VIN. They are insured by a company you listed. And as I stated they have pictures. At minimum 9 of each truck. As far as my thoughts of your opinion on if I have to make a claim? Well, I'm not concerned with what you think in my world. Shenanigans? Are you insinuating I lied to DMV or the insurance company? How can you come on this sight, new to the hobby and accuse so many good people of being liars? Because you didn't research or have things go your way the rest of us are liars? Man I hate to urinate on your already wet parade, but my 5 MV's, 4 MV trailers, 3 civilian trailers, Platinum F-450, Platinum Sequoia, 2 LTZ Duramax's, F-350, Jeep Wrangler, Trail Teams Edition FJ, Shelby GT-500, KTM 990 Adventure, 3 four wheelers, dirt bike, Gator, JD 450j, JD Excavator and JD 323d are legally insured by the book. Not a single lie told.

Al Harvey

As Karl mentioned, if you did not pay for the vehicle in the required time period, then it goes to default. GP says they will issue you an SF97 or if required a Florida title at an extra fee. You really need to read the terms and conditions before bidding on any item. Unless I have missed something, no where does GP state that you CAN title any vehicle and that you CAN get insurance. Those are issues that the buyer must address and really needs to address prior to bidding on any vehicle. I wish you the best of luck, but getting mad and mouthing off will not help your case. Also bad mouthing fellow SS members will get you reprimanded here. As others have said, there are plenty of members willing to help you, but you must remain polite and maintain your composure. As for taking GP to court, that is your decision but personally I would just count this as a hard learning experience. Hope you get everything worked out!!!

hipaa

Also, I am aware of the knowledge on this site. I read everything about the 5 ton for two months. Very good stuff here. When I went to follow that info Michigan shot me down every which way but loose. Insurance, Secretary of State and Use-Tax people. I called IronPlanet and told them to default me and paid the $1500 because I had no recourse. There website does not explain that these trucks are considered "commercial" in some states even if you only drive it once a year.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand your displeasure and position. If I lost money I'd fly off the handle as well. It's just human nature to do so. But there's been some good advice posted here with insurance companies many of us have used (other threads).

The sticking point is how 50 states register vehicles 50 different ways. But I saw your mention of the federal regs. We went through that a couple years ago in Georgia. I want to say there was a thread here discussing MV registration in MI. I'll see if I can find it. (I must admit, I only *think* it was MI. I may be incorrect.)

I hope you can get this sorted. Or at least this will not turn you off from the hobby completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks