• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is 60k to many miles

cdo

i can get a clean 69 m35a2 with a c turbo. with great paint new soft top cab heater new rear canvas,good troop seats,like new seats inside is very clean motor in also clean good tires and fires right up.it drives down the road great and the brakes feel good the pedal is up top. the only thing is it has 60k on it and 1200 hours is that to much? i also can get it for 2800.00 he just had a baby and wants it gone

snatch it up!

Sounds like a decent truck. With 60k miles on the odometer and 1,200 hours that averages right at 50mph which is a pretty smokin fast average for an M35! One of the gauges were most likely replaced as most MV's average around 20-25mph when you divide miles and hours. I've owned M35's with over 2,800 hours which were still strong runners. I've owned an M818 with 92,000 miles that ran like a scalded dog and still runs everyday for one of our customers pulling 35 loaded transfer trailers a day at a landfill. Personally higher mileage and hours on a vehicle tells me somebody liked the truck and drove it.

Andy

kc5mzd

When I bought my work truck it had 895,000 miles on it. It now has around 1,250,000 miles on it. Ok so its not a multifuel. It still runs as good or better than some of the other drivers new trucks. I guess it was well maintained before I got it.

It seems like you checked the basics. I would look at the slober tube with the engine running to see how much blowby there is. If there is some but not to much it would be a good sign that the engine is in good shape on the inside.

Sitting not being driven is harder on a truck than driving it.

cdo

as soon as i hit the start button it fired.the motor seems alot quiter than the other ones i looked at. the mwo tag or whatever it is on the cab on the driver side had a date of 89 on it.what is the slober tube?is that the tube that is near the turbo?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stole an M35A2 W/W at a GL auction because it had 56k miles on it ($1495). My opinion is 1) gauge has been switched or 2) it was the favorite truck in the motorpool and everyone wanted to drive it. This truck had new paint, new undercoating, electric wipers, and it doesn't hesitate to bury the needle going down the road. 60k for a diesel that's been taken care of is nothing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MWO is for the seat belts, nothing more. You can't trust the miles or hrs. on a truck. It may have more, maybe less. I'd just look the truck over really good and if it checks out ok I'd buy it. Just go by the overall condition of the truck and not what the gauges say the miles and hrs are :wink:.

cdo

ok thanks.the truck is in realy good shape it looks like it was taken care of.the rears dont have any thing leaking out of them.the boots look tobe in good shape. everything is for the most part dry and clean.i like that the paint is real good on it.i will post up some pics when i get it. THANKS AGAIN AND WHAT A GREAT SITE THANK YOU

Keith_J

Most have far more than 60k. Odometers and Hobbs frequently fail, they are replaced without rolling the replacements forward.

Most also have undergone depot overhaul or at least had the engine/transmission/transfer case replaced.

Josh

mines got like 43k on it and 1900hrs, but my tach has been busted since i got it. and that was 3-4k miles ago. it wouldnt supprise me one bit if my truck has more then 100k on it. still runs good, but she does burn some oil.

BugEyeBear

It all depends on how it was treated & how well it was maintained.

Odds are good that the engine has been replaced at least once.

And it is common for the speedo and/or tach to be swapped out, either with a new one or a used one.

Condition is everything!

Look for leaks, rebuild tags, & signs of abuse or "cobbled" repairs.

If it appears to have been well maintained, and runs well it is probably worth considering.

OH, & 500K would be very unusual for a Deuce Multifuel. These are older technology engines & simply don't have the durability of newer diesel engines. But they are still good engines if maintained well.

GoHot229

With the changing out of guages a typical thing in the military along with motors and everything else, whenever there was need, I wouldnt put too much credence on the 'clocked miles'. It's likely they are inacurate.

croftonaviation

I just got mine home and it shows 65,000 miles which thanks to some info from carnac, is the actual number of miles on the truck. Nothing on it that would be affected by millage looks wore out. I'll go with everyone here, buy it and enjoy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks