• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a 5 ton dump worth 1.500 bucks

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Europe, scrap prices are between 110 ("dirty") to 180 EUR ("clean") per metric ton (1000 kg or 2200 lbs, when the ##$% will you guys shift to world standard, that is, metric).

That means that a 10 ton truck will bring something around 1500 EUR or 2000 US$$ scrap price. US will be a bit different, but even there, with a purchase of a running truck for $1500 even without title, it is worth the risk.

Off course, getting the title is much more better, but I would not let that stop me. If nothing else, you can recoup your investment through parting the truck and, of course, having a lot of fun on this forum.

KsM715

when the ##$% will you guys shift to world standard, that is, metric).

No offense intended but, there's a reason our (Americans) ancestors left there and migrated here, independance. We are our own country and we have our own standards. I prefer it stay that way.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense intended but, there's a reason our (Americans) ancestors left there and migrated here, independance. We are our own country and we have our own standards. I prefer it stay that way.
None taken; I should have added a wink smiley. I know a bit about why most of your European ancestors left Europe, although our websites on that topic urgently need to be updated and integrated better: "Why they left" and how we explain this in our Czech Emigration Museum. As you see, we still have last years home page, just did not get around to change it.

As to metric, that was spread very slowly through Europe starting in the late 1700s and early 1800s. So when your ancestors left (most in the mid and late 1800s, some as early as the 1600s) they took the non-metric system with them. Europe then "metrified" while the US (and the UK for that matter) kept the OLD EUROPEAN system. Heaven knows why because you would expect that the USA would quickly change to a better system than those tired feet and pounds :whistle::deadhorse::whistle: ;-);-);-).

Have to update myself here and give credit where credit is due. Just looked at a wiki on metrics showing that the USA already in the 1860s and 1870s was at the forefront of the metrification. For whatever reasons, it never took of the ground in the 20th century and even caused a MARS orbiter to burn in the Mars atmosphere because it descended too far (reason being that feet are shorter than meters, oops).

Whatever, if you count it in pounds or kilo's, at $1500 in both systems the truck would be worth the risk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks