• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a Boyce m35 Bobber right for me?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the sliding rear window is standard on hard tops, should not cost anything, this will give you the idea of the OVER CHARGES

Mr. Bliss

The CUCV was one of my first thoughts, but decided against it because of hearing repeated horror stories from friends about the reliability of the Chevy diesel engine. "Stay away from that Chevy junk" was heard at least three times from three different friends. Is that inaccurate?

Chief_919

The CUCV was one of my first thoughts, but decided against it because of hearing repeated horror stories from friends about the reliability of the Chevy diesel engine. "Stay away from that Chevy junk" was heard at least three times from three different friends. Is that inaccurate?
Mostly.

The 6.2 has a mostly undeserved bad reputation. They will break crankshafts if you run it with a bad harmonic balancer or broken flexplate, and when it happens every blames "Chevy Junk" instead of themselves for running it with bad parts and not maintaining it properly.

And part of that stems from when GM first came out with the 5.7 Diesel. It was pure crap, a 350 they tried to convert to diesel. And that tainted the rep of the 6.2, even though they have nothing in common. Still today people will wrongly say a 6.2 is based of the gas 350.

Is it a Cummins? No. But it is also a lot cheaper to work on. Maintain it, don;t abuse it, and it will serve you well.

The 6.2/6.5 family has served the military in the HMMWV for almost 30 years now, and well.

And the 6.2 is far, far more reliable and ling lived than the LDS/LDT multifuels! By a very long shot. If you (wrongly) though you were running from unreliable in the GM diesel, you went the wrong way heading toward a multifuel

Mr. Bliss

Yea but there are some shops that specialize, like these guys...

CUCV

Is it better to buy from them or just buy one locally and have somebody referb it?

Mr. Bliss

the sliding rear window is standard on hard tops, should not cost anything, this will give you the idea of the OVER CHARGES
Yea, but Boyce uses aftermarket fiberglass tops which I believe have no window unless you have them install one, that's what the charge is for. As I understand it the OG steel tops are hard to find. I think fiberglass is better anyway it'll insulate from the blazing Arizona sun, steel would cook, fabric would deteriorate quickly.

spook

Mr. B,

Any update on your research with Mr. Hundy?

I am new here but plan on acquiring something to bob/something already bobbed very soon, and this refreshingly honest discussion between you and those with much experience has been very helpful.

Please, do continue.

Mr B. You still shopping? Don't forget to consider Arizona is ridiculous when it comes to registering 'out of the box' stuff, and a Bobber is out of the box. If it has to be inspected, which it will if it has an out of state title, the inspector will be confused, he'll go get his Boss and the circus will begin. Another thing is to consider is what it is called on the title. I titled mine as a 1965 Kaiser PU @ 10,500#'s. My registration is only $200 a year of which $126 is for weight and $20 for special plate. I know of people paying twice or more than that in this state for the same type of truck.

ps. 24K ?!! Wow, that's WAY too much. I could sell you mine for half of that and it's only got 5,691 miles on it....rear exit exhaust so you can actually drive it daily...53's so you can run 55mph @ 2,000 rpm

Mark and Brett at Boyce are great guys. They are very honest and helpful, why should they be responsible for your politics in your state? Sounds like your buddy should have looked into it a little more before he pulled the trigger. Just another good example of why you should have a legit truck with a legit title, in your state before you Bob it, so it doesn't have to be subject to inspection.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck has a clean Utah title? There shouldn't be a problem. What's IA saying?

Heavysteven

It's really up to you. A clear title is a must FYI.

However, in reality if you decided 2 months later to sell the truck getting 25k for it would be hard to do. Espically since a typical deuce is around 2-4K. I would consider buying from a flipper and getting a dealer to do your modifications.

My Buddy's truck is not bobbed. He was told it would be titled in Iowa with no problems. I offered to help, it's not my truck. The fact is he was lied to by Boyce. that is a fact. He paid their price for a truck, not bobed, with a clean title. Sorry id you can't handle the truth.
Not sure why I thought it was a Bobber, sorry. I'm just sticking up for those guys from my experience with them, they've always been great. I would think if he liked the truck, the price, and was satisfied with the title situation, it's his baby. Maybe he ( or you ) could tell us the specifics of the problem(s) getting it titled. I'm sure somebody on here has been through the same issues and can help.

Greg

Last edited:

KsM715

When my Buddy bought his truck he was told the title would clear Iowa DOT. Nobody would travel from Iowa to Utah without doing their homework.
No need to get an attitude. It sounds like your buddy did not do his homework, he just went with what the a salesman told him. Did he go to the Iowa DMV and see what the requirements were before he went shopping?There are several members here with Deuces and 5Tons registered in Iowa. Many, many people have had good service with them. I don't see how it is their fault that you guys are having trouble getting it tagged.

Kaiserjeeps

There is a guy here in Milwaukee OR (southern suburb of Portland) that does nice work bobbing dueces. He custom builds them and has done several. He is building a crew cab right now. You absolutely have to throw in a road trip with this purchase.:D

PM me if you want his number. He is all over Craigs list for PDX under military stuff.

rolling18

i'l second that! I bought some LED headlights from him, this guy lives in suburban neighborhood! showed me a rig he was repainting with REAL sherwin williams CARC paint. we spoke for over an hour and gave me a "tour" of his shop area
he has shown me many pic of his various builds for people and REASONABLE prices
his name is Shawn

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks