• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a CUCV a good first truck to learn mechanical skills?

Amator

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a month or two now, but this is my first post.

I'm interested in getting a M1008 or M1028 CUCV truck as I need a truck and I'd like to get a 4x4 diesel, and this seems to be one of the few low-cost ways to get one. The intended use is to use as a backup daily driver and to use as a farm truck once we get our land next year.

I've never done much of my own mechanical work. I've changed oil a time or two, wired a new cd player in, and the routine booster jumps and tire changes. I want to learn to be more mechanical, and I'm thinking from the tons of documentation from the military and from this site this should be a good truck to learn vehicular troubleshooting.

I'm basically just wanting to get some opinions on CUCVs for my intended use. One other thing; I'm a big guy (6'3", 425lbs) and am not sure I would fit comfortably in the CUCV.

If I decide to go CUCV when the time comes (6 months or so) do you think it would be better to try and get a cheap one from GL, haul it home, and try to get it running or to pay a premium and get it from a dealer. I'm in western SC if that makes any difference.

Thanks for reading! I did a search for CUCV farm truck and CUCV teach mechanics, but didn't find any relevant threads.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV is one of the simplest trucks you can get.

One thing you will have to learn is how to work on electrical systems. The rest of the truck is plain jane wrench turning.

You can change out the steering column with a tilt column from a salvage yard. It should work for you.

If you get one, buy a voltmater, battery charger and a battery load tester and learn how to use them.

Visit JATONKA's webpage and download the technical manuals.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Amator

Thanks Warthog for the quick reply! Great idea regarding the tilt steering; I assume most parts from the Civilian GM truck from 1981-87 will work but what about the older version 73-80? I just got the manuals and will browse through over the weekend.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV where speced in 1983 and built using those parts. GM made some changes to the civilian trucks from 1985 and on. The CUCVs did not receive those upgrades.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendi of the -20 and -34 manuals.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

I don't own and never have owned a CUCV, but my first vehicle ever was a 1986 GMC Sierra 2wd. Same body style, cab and concept but non diesel. I spent hours crawling all around, inside and underneath it, it was easy to understand the basics even for my 13 year old self :roll:. The best way to really obtain mechanical skills is hands on learning. Manuals are very useful but you cant always depend on the OEM proceedures.. (for example, no attacks please!) The removal/installation proceedure may be very straight forward for say...a brake cylinder, water pump, or even a ball joint. But as we all know some things don't get better with age i.e. rusted nuts, bolts, corroded steel lines etc. Sometimes you need to go beyond what the manual says to do for rusted or damaged parts. I remember I read in the repair manual for that old 86' gmc that a ball joint job would be a simple 15 step or so proceedure. It ended up taking me about 100 steps and 8 hours! :!: For a 13 year old kid I couldn't understand why the manual didn't tell me that 18 years of use would fuse a ball joint to a rusted steering knuckle like it was welded in.

You never know what kind of special proceedures and skills you are going to need until you dive right in and get your hands dirty! JUST BE SAFE ALWAYS!

Good luck with the purchase and WELCOME TO SS!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that the Tech Manuals are just a guide. They can cover every possiblity.

OL AG '89

You are right on with getting a CUCV for messing with. Replacement parts are almost always available and reasonably priced. Lot of SS members buy and part out so CUCv specific parts come available on this site. Junk yard parts are decreasing because most 80's vehicles are pretty well stripped, you can get lucky once in a while. Bigger cities have a better selection, and then you also have the one off, hole in the wall place in the middle of nowhere.
CUCv manuals are 100% better than the civilian ones. They were designed to be used by 18 year olds, I know I used them while I was in.
Don't get too nervous about the electrical system, 24 / 12 volt mix, just read the manual and understand what should be 24 and what should be 12 and why.

Your idea about GL is UNFORTUNATELY hit and miss. If you decide to buy from GL, try to get someone more knowledgeable to go with you, if you get a preview.

WELCOME to SS and GOOD LUCK!!!

I agree with all the above posters, CUCVs are a great vehicle to learn wrenching on. The electrical system is straightforward when not modified. Most contemporary cars and trucks are much, much more complicated.

As a bonus, CUCVs are cheap enough that you can buy two! One to drive and one for spare parts. :p

I bought mine running from the first owner after it came out as surplus. I'm quite happy to have paid more for something I knew could be started and driven. If there was one up on GL nearby I would have gone that route. It depends on your situation. If it's going to be your main or ONLY vehicle, get a runner. If you can stand having it sit idle while you wait on parts and work on it, go cheap - either the lowest priced one on Craigslist etc, or GL. The EUC process is not all that difficult, it seems mostly to depend on how busy the office you are submitting to is.

If you do buy from GL, treat it as any other auction, i.e., be in control at all times, preview if you can (with someone helping if possible), adjust the price you're prepared to pay downward if you can't, and know that whatever you do, you will probably get a bent driveshaft and maybe worse. All the cars and trucks I've bought have come off auctions and I've been burned once but took the hit and learned my lessons.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

I was in the same boat as you, done basic maintenance but nothing more. I got an M1008 for a plow truck. With all the manuals and help from this site I've been able to do everything I've needed so far and learned a ton about trucks in general. The manuals are a ton better than the crappy civilian manuals and a search on here will answer most of the other questions.

If you want to learn it's a great truck to get.

jmsneorrcom

Im in the same boat as you with mechanical ability - very limited - Ive done a starter relay, U joint and am currently working on some type of electrical problem right now but the weather and time has not been helpful
the manuals are good but limited. I have watched some youtube videos which are helpful.
this website is either hit or miss with help. some guys have very negative comments other guys are very helpful.
good luck, if you are from northeast ohio we can help each other

Sasquatch

The guys on this site are an amazing wealth of knowledge, but you need to read the manuals and do some research before you post basic questions. I'm new at this but I'd say at least 80% pecent of questions you should be able to get out of the manuals or the wiki on this site, the digital manuals in PDF format are nice because you can use the search feature to find specifics. Another 10-15% of questions can be answered by doing a search and digging a little, yes it takes some time, but you can find it. If you've done the basic manual troubleshooting and can't find the answer wih a search, than post away and folks will be more than helpful and if you figured out something you couldn't find in a search post it with a good title so the next guy will be able to find it.

Last edited:
I personally can say i can attest to most everything in the postings of this thread My cucv was bought cheap so i had leway in spending money to drive it Alts starter among other things the 24 volt system works wonders if kept up i drive my m1008 near about everyday

dave wells

they are great trucks and easy to work on im 18 an still in high school i use mine as an everyday truck.....i am able to do all the work my self at home with jus a basic craftsman tool set ive even replaced the clutch in mine (has a sm465 trany that was in it when i got it) all you need is some time and be willing to get dirty

m1008-jb

I have learned a alot from working on the ccuv converting it from diesel to gas and have recieved multiple replies from every tread I have started. this is a great site for help. The technical manuals are great, and one thing to remember if warthog tells you something it will be right.

That is probably the best "modern" MV that you could buy to learn on. That said, you need to decide just how much you want to learn all at once with the install purchase. If you love a challenge, get one straight off.of.GL and go for it. However, if you don't mind paying a bit more up front, I'd buy one that has been owned and driven by a civilian for a while. It sure helps to get up with the local MV club. Quite likely, one of the members would have one for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks