• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a CUCV Noisy & Smoky?

M1075

Do you think a CUCV is noisy and smoky?

I am moving into a new neighborhood and the proposed deed restrictions include the following statement, "No noisy or smoky vehicles shall be operated on the Property." I asked how noisy and smoky would be measured and was sent the following response from the Board:

"The terms would be given their ordinary and plain meaning. If your truck is unusually loud and emits an unusual amount of smoke so that it impacts a neighbor’s enjoyment of their property, that your truck would be in violation of the CC&Rs. If it just is a little louder than regular gasoline trucks and only emits a small “puff” of smoke when starting, no issue. A reasonable test must be applied."

Should I be concerned and request clarifying language so I don't run into any future problems with my M1009? I was thinking of suggesting the following addtion:

"Unmodified production vehicles in good operating condition are not to be considered noisy or smoky."

What do you think?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless your CUCV smokes more than most, I don't think they smoke much and the same goes for the noise factor. I will say that an M1009 that I used to have would seriously carry on if it was really cold out. It sounded like it had a few bolts loose in the motor until it got warm.

underdog

CUCV vehicles in good operating condition are not unusually noisy or smoky.
But you do not give any discription of the type of neighbors.
If they are the tree hugging - prius driving types they will probably be offended.

Last edited:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your addition sounds reasonable. A CUCV should not cause a problem. A C-turbo deuce, might meet their criteria, though...

ems4ty

I would think that the "Unusually Noisy" part of the statement would refer to the type/class of vehicle being driven. A diesel is always louder than a gasoline vehicle which is louder than an electric vehicle. So you can't compare apples to oranges... If all CUCV's are noisy, then I would say that yours would not be unusual compared to other CUCV's... Catch my drift?:-D

-Tyler

mikes47jeep

i would concider noisy, a little jap crap car with a fart can on it, or open headers on a v8

and smokey, i would concider that, when a good ol' boy turns up the pump on a cummins, and theirs clouds of black smoke, or when someone "seafoams" a car

just my 2cents

Mike

Jersey 93 Ty

I would be very cautious about this situation, as it seems you already are being. I suspect that they worded their restrictions vaguely on purpose, allowing them to enforce their policies arbitrarily. Is it possible for you to drive a CUCV to the neighborhood the next time you visit and get a "ruling" on the spot from someone in a position to make such an enforcement decision?

During my short time as a volunteer firefighter, the Chief started up a towing company and kept a F-350 based wrecker at his house. Within a few weeks, his neighbor from a few houses down began complaining to the police dept. about his "loud, noisy diesel truck" waking her up. Apparently the 3 axle International box truck never received any complaints, despite the fact that the International was started up for its delivery route 5 days a week before dawn for several years straight.

rockman

Not compared to my duece...I would look at other vehicles in the neighborhood and do some comparisions so that if an issue arose, those truck could be used in comparison. Any current full size diesel pick up truck could be used...

wkbrdngsnw

The real question is if you want to move somewhere that you are not wanted? If its on the books then its probably there for a reason. How is the neighborhood association going to feel when you change your own oil? The key is to talk to the prospective neighbors and see how open they are to having a "dirty, loud, diesel" next door. After all, they are the people that are the most likely to turn you in.

AJMBLAZER

Jersey hit the nail on the head. It all depends upon their definition of "noisy and smokey." VW Golf diesel? Then you're screwed. Modern diesel 1 ton pickup? You're still on soft ground there as these things aren't as quiet as their modern descendents.

hobie237

Anyplace where they're going to be picky enough to set deed restrictions like that isn't likely to enjoy a 20 year old diesel pickup around the neighborhood. Sure, it's all relative, but I'd bet that they're all driving Civics and the like, and yeah, a CUCV is going to be loud as hell by comparison.

I'd say you're just getting into a pile of problems.

Elwenil

Agreed. If they are going to go so far as make vague rules about "noisy and smoky" you can bet they will have something to say about how big of an "eyesore" a MV will be even in restored, perfect operating condition. People like that make me want to buy property next door to them and put in a strip mine.

ida34

This is why I never have bought a place with a Home Owners Association. To many rules on top of the government rules already in place.

Michael

"Unmodified production vehicles in good operating condition are not to be considered noisy or smoky."

Are you willing to prove yours meets this standard in court? I would be thinking twice about moving there myself. Its a buyers market right now, find a better place that minds their own business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks