• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a Dana 80 strong enough?

Section8

Doing crazy stuff! Think we are all doing crazy stuff every day we work on our rigs.lol we have to be crazy to enjoy these beasts!! Bwahahahaha!
Though I haven't done anything with a larger truck.... yet. I have done my share of crazy stuff in my youth. 4x4ing with my 71 Volkswagen beetle comes to mind or my 82 Honda civic. Crumpled fenders and mangled gas tanks. I also drove my 82 jeep cj down a rock bluff in Cypress Hills park in Saskatchewan, unintentionally, right in front of a park ranger. I got severely scolded for my off reading antics and complimented in my control going down. Little did he know there was a hole bit through the canvas on my drivers seat.
Don't think I will ever do that kind of off roading with my deuce, however. ... The most abuse will be heavy loads and rough gummy fields and logging roads.
Maybe if my axles don't give out and my brakes quite I will just stop by using the closest tree. Lol. I haven't don't that before! Bwahahahaha!

rustystud

Doing crazy stuff! Think we are all doing crazy stuff every day we work on our rigs.lol we have to be crazy to enjoy these beasts!! Bwahahahaha!
Though I haven't done anything with a larger truck.... yet. I have done my share of crazy stuff in my youth. 4x4ing with my 71 Volkswagen beetle comes to mind or my 82 Honda civic. Crumpled fenders and mangled gas tanks. I also drove my 82 jeep cj down a rock bluff in Cypress Hills park in Saskatchewan, unintentionally, right in front of a park ranger. I got severely scolded for my off reading antics and complimented in my control going down. Little did he know there was a hole bit through the canvas on my drivers seat.
Don't think I will ever do that kind of off roading with my deuce, however. ... The most abuse will be heavy loads and rough gummy fields and logging roads.
Maybe if my axles don't give out and my brakes quite I will just stop by using the closest tree. Lol. I haven't don't that before! Bwahahahaha!
I have used a tree to stop me going down a hill ! It was just a mudslide and the brakes did nothing ! It was either hit the tree or crash and roll at the bottom of the hill !
Of course the model years where different for me. It was driving the 1954 Chevy or the 1948 IHC . Still the same spirit of "Crazy" though !

Section8

Woah! !
Way wrong truck for what the fellow was wanting to do. 14k curb weight on a vehicle rated at 9500!!!
I hope you all aren't thinking this is how I am looking at things!
I am wanting axles that are equivalent to my stock ones or a bit stronger. I am just wanting ones that are easier to maintain and have more parts availability.

DavidWymore

We have a 550 welding rig at the shop. It's loaded almost to max all the time, and it wallows slowly down the road. Now the F700 on the other hand...

Section8

Thanks for your PM Rustystud.
Checked it out.
Ugh. Its in PA.
Other than location it looks great. Unfortunately due to location I could probably buy a running unit here for what it would cost to ship and go through customs.
I will keep looking.
Agreed a 4X4 F700 would be awesome!

Section8

So does a deuce I am told! LOL!
It is a heavy truck not a Cadillac.
Although. ..... airbags under the cab???
Naaaa.
Still need an air compressor for my 6bt, so no air bags.
I could dream up all kinds of mods but money and time dictate what actually happens. First things first get it going. Lol.

DavidWymore

My deuce rides way better than that 700, though some of that is the spring seat. If you want a decent ride and load capacity, air bags are the way to go. If you're bobbing 4x4, it shouldn't ride too bad. Front of the deuce doesn't ride too bad.

rustystud

My deuce rides way better than that 700, though some of that is the spring seat. If you want a decent ride and load capacity, air bags are the way to go. If you're bobbing 4x4, it shouldn't ride too bad. Front of the deuce doesn't ride too bad.
I remember the 4X4 show on cable TV did a 4X4 Bobber out of a deuce. They went with air-bags instead of springs. Looked real good. Air bags are a great way to go for ride comfort. Kenworth-Peterbuilt went to air-bag suspension back in the 1960's . All our busses are also air bag suspension. You just need to get some good "brace-rods" to keep the axles in alignment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks