• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a FDC important and how to tell if a truck has one?

bebyb

Hello all, I am looking into buying a deuce and have heard lots of talk about the fuel density compensator. I have searched the internet and have heard lots of different opinions on them, some say you can't run dry fuels such as gasoline in the duece without it, some say you can and the compensator only keeps the power output consistent. So does anyone have first hand experience running dry fuels in the duece without one? How can you tell if a truck has one? What does one look like? Where is it located? Do most trucks on the market have them, or have most been removed? What was the purpose of removing them? If they are nessicary to run multiple different fuels, how much is a replacement if you purchase a truck that doesn't have one?

Thanks!
Ben

rustystud

OK the long and short of it is, It's OK to disable the FDC and in fact it prevents a lot of problems from developing if you do. You can still run any fuel the Multi-fuel engine is capable of running, which includes gasoline ( when cut with the proper amount of oil) . The only engine that I know of that uses the FDC is the military Multi-fuel engine.
As far as what it looks like there are plenty of posts here showing the FDC and how to disable it properly. Use the search function.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rusty is spot-on in his reply. I'm sure if you searched our site for how to by-bass the FDC, you will find all the info you need.

bebyb

OK the long and short of it is, It's OK to disable the FDC and in fact it prevents a lot of problems from developing if you do. You can still run any fuel the Multi-fuel engine is capable of running, which includes gasoline ( when cut with the proper amount of oil) . The only engine that I know of that uses the FDC is the military Multi-fuel engine.
As far as what it looks like there are plenty of posts here showing the FDC and how to disable it properly. Use the search function.
Okay thanks! I am going to search function this as well, but in YOUR experience, what is the best way to filter alternative fuels such as waste motor oil etc, before putting them into the tank?

Welder1

I have been using waste ATF for some time now with good results. I have found the only way to really clean up a fluid is to centrifuge it. You can run it thru filters down to 2 microns and it still will have contamination in it. I use a pressure driven centrifuge and circulate 55 gallons at a time for about 20 hours before I consider it clean. The circulation rate is 5 GPM total with 2 GPM going thru the centrifuge. When you collect the oil let it settle then pump it several inches off the bottom to start with. You need a way to drain off any water that settles out. I use a tank modified with a bottom drain port. Do some research and you will see what others are doing. The ATF in my opinion is a better fluid to start with as it is a lower viscosity than waste oil. I cut it after cleaning 50% with #2 diesel.

bebyb

I have been using waste ATF for some time now with good results. I have found the only way to really clean up a fluid is to centrifuge it. You can run it thru filters down to 2 microns and it still will have contamination in it. I use a pressure driven centrifuge and circulate 55 gallons at a time for about 20 hours before I consider it clean. The circulation rate is 5 GPM total with 2 GPM going thru the centrifuge. When you collect the oil let it settle then pump it several inches off the bottom to start with. You need a way to drain off any water that settles out. I use a tank modified with a bottom drain port. Do some research and you will see what others are doing. The ATF in my opinion is a better fluid to start with as it is a lower viscosity than waste oil. I cut it after cleaning 50% with #2 diesel.
Thank you for the informative response. Is it possible that you could post pictures of your centrifuge setup? Also will it damage the engine to run unfiltered waste motor oil or transmission fluid?

rustystud

Thank you for the informative response. Is it possible that you could post pictures of your centrifuge setup? Also will it damage the engine to run unfiltered waste motor oil or transmission fluid?
Your injection pump and injectors will not like it ! Those microscopic metal particles will act like sandblast media blowing through your injection lines at 3,000 PSI .

bebyb

Your injection pump and injectors will not like it ! Those microscopic metal particles will act like sandblast media blowing through your injection lines at 3,000 PSI .
Makes sense. What about used cooking oil? Does it need to be filtered? I have heard something about it becoming acidic or something after being used.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't waste your time with cooking oil. It has a high PH and will remove any junk in the fuel system, sending it to plug your filters for the next month! What a pita that was.

But your motor will run on it.

bebyb

Don't waste your time with cooking oil. It has a high PH and will remove any junk in the fuel system, sending it to plug your filters for the next month! What a pita that was.

But your motor will run on it.
Ah okay. By the way, how common are non turbo deuces? I don't go look at it until tomorrow and I am kind of hoping it will be a turbo model. According to the VIN it is a 1969.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks