• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a smaller exhaust pipe an issue?

Tototex

I have an M51A2.

There is a big hole in my lower exhaust pipe. I took it down to the muffler shop and they want to replace my whole 3.5" pipe with 3" pipe since that is the biggest they can bend.

I have two issue with this.

1.) Can this impact performance in any way or nothing to worry about?

2.) It is kind of disappointing as I want to keep her as original as I can.

They say they can order some 3.5" pipe and weld it together for me, but they are pretty reluctant about wanting to do it.

Thanks in advance.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M51A2.

There is a big hole in my lower exhaust pipe. I took it down to the muffler shop and they want to replace my whole 3.5" pipe with 3" pipe since that is the biggest they can bend.

I have two issue with this.

1.) Can this impact performance in any way or nothing to worry about?

2.) It is kind of disappointing as I want to keep her as original as I can.

They say they can order some 3.5" pipe and weld it together for me, but they are pretty reluctant about wanting to do it.

Thanks in advance.

1) increased back pressure will rob power, worsen fuel efficiency, and degrade throttle response.

2) It'll bug you forever if it is already disappointin to even contemplate.

If they're reluctant, find someplace that isn't. JMHO

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go to a big truck exhaust shop. They can bend up to 4inch sometimes 5inch pipe with no issues. Just depends on their machine.

Tototex

Memphis doesn't carry my pipe.

Whites Owl does.
http://whiteowlparts.com/store/store.php?crn=283&rn=813&action=show_detail
(*Edit: That's weird. You have to copy and past this link to work. Clicking on it takes you to their default store page.)

$110.00, $155.00 after shipping for the pipe.

Its not much.

The only reason this shop has my muffler is because they owe me some labor.

I work next to a Peterbuilt. Maybe I should see what they want to bend the pipe. I imagine it will be more than $155 though.

I'll probably keep my foot down and just have them weld my pipe back together. Can't beat free and downsizing to 3" will bother me forever. Thanks for that comment because it is true!

Last edited:

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most guys don't bend the 3.5" and larger, they usually buy the premade ells and weld them together.