• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is an EUC transferrable?

randyscycle

I am looking at a Deuce for sale here in VA and the current owner has the EUC, but has never titled it in his name.

Can he just pass the EUC on to me and then I file for a title, or is it something non-transferrable? Don't want to find out after I am the new owner that I can't get the paperwork straight.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you need is the SF-97 which can be transferred. EUC's are to release it from the govt.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally, the SF-97 is made out to GL by Uncle Sam. Then GL gives the original purchaser a bill of sale, along with the SF-97, which is then taken to the state motor vehicle folks. There is a time limit of about 1 year on getting GL to get the SF-97, so, if you are going to act, do it quickly (if you are not too late already). Once the first fella has the SF-97 and gives you a bill of sale, then you take the SF-97, the bill of sale he got from GL, and the bill of sale he gave you all down to the Motor vehicle division. Complicated. May or may not be worth the trouble, but that's for you to decide.

randyscycle

Here is what I found, and this is in VA. (this is more SF-97 related, so mods, feel free to move if you want to)

Seems that the SF-97 is not transferrable from the original purchaser. At least the DMV told me this when I called them yesterday. They treat it as a title and in VA it is not permissible to "kite" a title or pass it along without transferring it into the current owners' name, even if they don't register it. (done it myself, so guess I am an outlaw now.... :D )

Now that said, I have not actually seen the SF-97 the current owner of the M35 in question I am looking at has in his posession, so it may not actually have his name on it and if so, it may be a non-issue. I plan on seeing the truck this weekend.

He has also agreed that if I do agree to purchase the truck, he will get a title in VA in his name. We'll see, and I won't pay for the full price until thats final.

Thanks for everyone's input!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he has the SF-97 it will have someone's name on it besides you. They will not issue a SF-97 with no name on it.

randyscycle

In my never ending quest here, it seems that I get conflicting info, so I will just look at the paperwork myself and make a determination. After a lot of web search and VA DMV law reading, it seems that the SF-97 is not really a "title" in VA's eyes. But, they still want something in the owners' name before they will issue a title. I'd think the BOS would work, but then everytime I call VA's DMV in Richmond, I get a different person, and as soon as you say military vehicle, they get kinda quiet and then change their helpful attitude.

As I see it, since the current owner has the EUC and SF-97 in his posession, and he bought the truck directly from GL (I believe) this shouldn't be any more trouble than him getting a title then transferring it to me, which is what we will most likely do. IF I can eliminate more paperwork and expense, though, that would be great.

I keep thinking this would be easier just to get a title company to circumvent all this and have a title in a few weeks. Did it with my M715 and had the paperwork in my name in 1.5 weeks.

ida34

The EUC is not something you have. It is something you fill out to get permission from the government to purchase certain items from the military surplus. The SF-97 is really only a document telling people that the vehicle was released from government ownership. Legally it is something like a certificate or origin. New vehicles do not come of the assembly line with a title. The manufacturer creates the document. You then take the document to your local DMV and they use it to issue the first title for the vehicle. With new cars the dealer takes care of this and you never see the document but on stuff like trailers and such the dealer does not take care of the titling and you get the document and have to go get the title yourself. The certificate of origin basically certifies that a vehicle meets standards for the year built and gives information to the DMV needed to register the vehicle and issue the first title. Really all the sf-97 does is certify a vehicle as having legally left federal service and it give the name of the person it was sold to. Most states use them in place of and as a certificate of origin as any vehicle in federal service has never actually been titled.

I would do as you say your are going to and make him get the VA title in his name so he can transfer it to you.

As a side note. GL stopped the 1 year time frame for getting an SF-97 but I think they will still only issue one for a vehicle they handled and that did not originally get an SF-97 issued.

randyscycle

Ida, that helps a bunch.

I am familiar with the Certificate of Origin for a vehicle as I have bought a couple that way from smaller dealers then titled them myself later.

Basically it seems that if there is a name on the SF-97 here in VA they won't issue a title to anyone but the person whose name is on it. In this case that is the present owner, so I will definitely let him jump through the hoops for this one then buy it as a titled truck from him.

Again, thank you all for the help!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks