• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is anyone familiar with the M915A1 Line Haul Truck?

simoncrk

I need to know if the M915A1 line haul truck has a PTO Plate on the side of the automatic transmission? Does anybody work on these for the government. I am thinking about buyin some and puttin vaccuum pumps on them in the oilfield.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked for you, there is a PTO aperture, it is pointing towards the driver, with about 6" of room between the cover and the floorboards.

Every vacuum truck I have ever seen has a driveline PTO, i.e. a splitter box between the transmission and rears. There is no room for this on this short wheelbase truck.

simoncrk

I checked for you, there is a PTO aperture, it is pointing towards the driver, with about 6" of room between the cover and the floorboards.

Every vacuum truck I have ever seen has a driveline PTO, i.e. a splitter box between the transmission and rears. There is no room for this on this short wheelbase truck.
Hey thanks for goin thru all that trouble.
whats an aperture? I think what your callin a splitter box, i call a power tower. have you ever heard em called that. it sits between the tranny and first rearend or twin screw. is there anyway to put a wet kit on it? I can mount the vac pump on the trailor and add a hydraulic oil cooler. what do you think?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO aperture = PTO plate = PTO hole. Power tower is the correct term for "splitter box". I'm sure you can mount a wet kit, but I am not clear on the amount of shaft hp that can be transfered by the transmission PTO. Every oilfield service vacuum pump I have ever seen has been a big son of a gun, needing at least 100 hp to drive.

simoncrk

Its a Challenger 367 vac pump. I wonder if I could run a Hydraulic Pump off of the front of the crank shaft of the trucks engine, (like on cement trucks) and then turn the vac pump by a Hydraulic Motor. We had set ups like this on some other trucks, but the truck had a wet kit on the 6 bolt PTO on the tranny, and the vac pump was mounted on the trailor. this was done so it could pull end dump trailors.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to be a party pooper, the bottom of the radiator is about a 18" off the pavement, no straight shot to the front of the crank.

tm america

get the numbers off the trans i'm sure you can get a pto for it .i thought some of those trucks came with rear winches.isnt that what the pto was for:?:

simoncrk

get the numbers off the trans i'm sure you can get a pto for it .i thought some of those trucks came with rear winches.isnt that what the pto was for:?:
Well I haven't bought them yet in fear of the problem. Im gonna buy off of GL and I don't know if I can get the guy to go look at them and tell me the #. have you ever heard of anybody doin that?

reb87

The m915a1 uses an Allison transmission HT754CRD with a TC498 Torque Convertor. I dont have a pto on my a1 so I dont know what it takes.
My m915 and m919 have a Cat D7155-OD trans. It uses a Chelsea 420XQAHX-W6XD PTO

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks