• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is GL Hard To Work With?

clutchdump

Hey guys, thank you for the availability of such a great forum! Anyway, I am very new to the military vehicle hobby, and I am in the market of a deuce. I found some pictures of my dad with his back in his 88m days in Germany, and I want to suprize him with one. Most importantly, I think this truck would be perfect for the work I do in the arctic Wisconsin winters. I have been scoping around on GL.com, and I am impressed with the unbelievable deals they have on there. I havn't placed any bids yet, but I am planning on it very very soon. Some questions I have are, the listings seem very basic, and nothing states if any of the vehicles run, drive steer and/ or start... Now, is it possible to call or e-mail them and ask general questions like that, or is it a blind bidding system? Any help would be much appreciated... Also, how does one register these vehicles for everyday road use? Thanks alot you guys, so far your site has gotten me very motivated to get one of these beasts....

gunboy1656

First off welcome.

You have a lot of reading ahead of you. Go to the forum section there is a section for every one of your questions. You should be done reading sometime next week.

stumps

Oh golly! This subject has been hashed, and rehashed many times over. First, welcome to the site. Second, there is a pretty nice search function sitting in the line just below the "STEEL SOLDIERS" heading of this page. If you search on some things like registration, Wisconsin DOT, GL, insurance, and a number of things only you can know, you will find gobs, and gobs of information.

If you go to the Resources area (again under the "STEEL SOLDIERS" heading, you will find a link to all of the TM's for the deuce and a number of other items. And if you go to the FAQ, you will find most any question you could want answered all together in one place.

Again, welcome. Let us know what you think after you have done this little homework assignment.

-Chuck

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is GL hard to work with?

Um, do deuces have three axles? USUALLY

Welcome to the site. Search, read and hang on.

Chief_919

Government Liquidation is like a hormonal woman- you can never predict it.

One day they will piss me off to no end.

The next they will suprise me by actually helping me out.

But far more often they screw things up.

clutchdump

Clinto, that was a big help, and it answered alot of questions.... Like the NAPA thing, and a few others... Great help all around, I am very excited about the near future purchase... The notebook is starting to look like a book report, but nothing too major has popped up yet... Seems like it's almost the same endevor or buying a used truck on a salvage/ missing title in Wisconsin... I'll post about the licensing portion as it arises, I guess there isn't too many of these in Wisconsin.

area52

Make sure you have a lot of patience because you will become upset with GL. Its a given. For first time buyers, the EUC takes a long time. Customer service is at best good, most of the time its bad to non existent! We used to have a GL rep on site here but she could not ever answer our questions except to say email GL or go to the live chat.

yes there are great bargins to be had on GL but make sure you INSPECT the truck or have some one you trust check it out BEFORE YOU BID!!!

Good luck and may the (green) force be with you.

clutchdump

Thanks alot guys, only one headache filled night, but there is a light at the end of this tunnel... I found one maybe an hour and a half away that has what I need (Hardtop, heat, multifuel...) GL seems like a great place, but I don't have the patience to wait around for forms and paperwork, especially that winter is quickly approaching, and I promised myself last year I will not drive a FWD ever again in the snow... So, this year i'm going to make winter my personal B****... Also, Wisconsin is very leniant on these vehicles, if anyone is from Wisconsin is interested, but the title proceedure takes only minutes at the DMV, and plates are issued at that time (Agriculture).... Insurance looks like it's going to be (Brace youself).... $9.40 a month.... Thanks alot you guys, I am so excited it is ridiculous.... Pics coming soon

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the new WI military vehicle legislation affect the AG plates? Might not be super simple since it took place OCT 1?

clutchdump

From my understading, they want you to have collector plates on the vehicle (Exempts January driving, for some reason), but since this vehicle was already registered with a previous wisconsin title, and proof that this is going to be a farm vehicle an agriculture plate will be givin to an AM General 2 1/2 ton flatbed, not an ex- MV... It's kinda the same as registering a custom chopper or built vehicle... As long as it has the proper lighting, and safety belts (as the year will disclose...lap belts)... the vehicle can be road drivin... Once I actually register it, I will post step by step of the garbage I'm prolly gonna have to deal with.... Now you got me worried....lol

stumps

If your registration goes as it has done for others, WIDOT is going to take a look at your VIN, see that it isn't the standard 17 digits, and isn't listed in their VIN database as a valid VIN, and then ask you to prove it has an FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) sticker.... It doesn't. At that point, you will be offered your sole and only option, which is to register your truck as a Historic Military Vehicle. HMV's can be used only for parades, shows, and occasional test runs.... in other words: show queen.

If WIDOT decides it is a former military vehicle, you will not be allowed to use the truck for ANYTHING resembling real use.

On the bright side, WIDOT claims that they cannot offer any evidence of the safe use of HMV's on WI roadways because they can't tell how many HMV's (if any) are already registered in WI. If that is really true (I don't believe it for one minute), then you should be fine. They won't know what your truck used to be.

-Chuck

Whitey

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Thats my responce to the title of the thread.

"Government Liquidation is like a hormonal woman- you can never predict it.

One day they will piss me off to no end.

The next they will suprise me by actually helping me out.

But far more often they screw things up."

The above previous post describes it best. All things considerd though, I've had great luck at Meade, Annville, and Mechanicsburg. Good people at those sites. I do know of people getting screwed over royaly, but I have been lucky. Careful planning before bidding makes a difference.

Unforgiven

So far I've only bought one item on GL. I'm currently waiting for the EUC. And I hope it does take a long time. I need to clear space for another truck which is going to take a little time. It's like a free RV rental space for me while GL holds the truck.

I found them to be quite easy to work with so far. Very straightforward and professional. I dealt with a woman named Heidi and another named Brandi. They were pleasant and easy.

My only complaint is I wonder if GL doesn't pad the auctions to raise the prices. That's only speculation and probably false. But that's how I felt in the few auctions that I participated in.

If you are not in a hurry then I'd say GL is fine. Of course, I'm not a frequent buyer like some of the guys here. Just make sure you have a good scanner for your computer because you are going to be scanning and rescanning a few documents.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Is GL Hard To Work With?
roflrofl

Has a cat got a climbing gear? Is the Pope Polish? Does Papa Bear poop in the woods?

The short answer is yes if you are dealing with the people out in Arizona on a Customer Service (that's an oxymoron out there) issue. Especially if they have locked your account for some oddball reason.
As far as dealing with the local folks at the GL locations I have had very good luck and had mostly positive experiences.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks