• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is GP now painting over the military vehicle markings?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is showing up in the auctions now:

The USMC letters will be painted over prior to pick up.

Is this a policy change?
Doesn't surprise me at all. they already require Army unit markings to be covered. Actual compliance varies.

thoner7

Mine were very faded. I didn’t even think I had them on the hood, until I wiped the hood down after a rain. They were suddenly visible when wet.

Is there a resource to look up your truck by its number? Would be cool to know where it’s been.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago, I was told by GovLiquidation that they were supposed to obliterate all military markings on vehicles before they left the yard. Obviously, they didn't always do it...and it has been hit and miss since. I showed up to a GL site to pick up a trailer with a pristene M1028 that had "US ARMY OFFICIAL USE ONLY" marked on the doors. The yard guy in Chambersburg, PA told me they were supposed to have marked that out before it left whatever yard it came from (it had come from Ft. Belvoir, VA). He asked me if he could spray across the lettering on my doors and I told him emphatically "F no." There was nothing he could do as it was already a private vehicle. So, this is not surprising to me at all.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago, I was told by GovLiquidation that they were supposed to obliterate all military markings on vehicles before they left the yard. Obviously, they didn't always do it...and it has been hit and miss since. I showed up to a GL site to pick up a trailer with a pristene M1028 that had "US ARMY OFFICIAL USE ONLY" marked on the doors. The yard guy in Chambersburg, PA told me they were supposed to have marked that out before it left whatever yard it came from (it had come from Ft. Belvoir, VA). He asked me if he could spray across the lettering on my doors and I told him emphatically "F no." There was nothing he could do as it was already a private vehicle. So, this is not surprising to me at all.
When the hammer falls the vehicle is yours, I have had that conversation several times over the last 50 years or so.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last 7 ot 8 trucks ive purchased have the USMC painted over…this is a new demil requirement, and yes…there will be times that It was over looked, same as the armor removal removal requirement.

spankybear

My M997A1 showed the USMC makings in the auction photos... when I got her they where painted over. Meh I'll just put them back...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks