• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it ok to run my deuce on methanol?

progun

I have friends that make rum here in town. Like alot of it. They have a full time distillery. They have alot of "head" which is the beginning of the batch and is methanol, benzene and such. I can get it by the barrel. If I run it in the deuce will it burn or harm it.

Chevracer87

I wouldn't think it would have the lubricating qualitys the deuce needs. I bet it would run on it but I imagine you would have to dump in several quarts of clean oil to keep everything lubed up. This is just a guess I may be way wrong here.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is DRIER then gas, I would use it to "cut" WMO ONLY, using in LARGE quanties WILL burn things up.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with a 30% meth and 70% WMO at least. Might want to do more WMO. Take a plastic cup, and suspend it over a catch of some sort. Poke a small hole in the bottom. Pour in a cup of diesel, and time how long it takes to drain. Do the same with your blend. adjust the blend to get about the same time reading as the straight diesel, maybe just a little longer if it is ULSD. That will give you the proper viscosity, roughly. At least definitely in the range of what the engine will handle.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Methanol also bonds with water easily.

Water in your diesel fuel injection system = very bad.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, what do they do with it normally?

I've never mixed it straight with WMO but I have used it a lot in biofuel production.

I would get some and run some tests on some samples. It might be good to use on long trips but not let large quantities sit in the tanks. If you keep your fuel tank mostly full all the time there is less moisture that can accumulate. But you can't stop it all, no matter what fuel you burn.

JasonS

Impact of Gasohol on the L-141 and LDT-465-1C Engines.

Abstract : Gasohol was analyzed in the L-141 and LDT-465-1C engines in
order to determine its impact upon engine operability. During various
steady-state operating conditions, with the L-141 engine, gasohol was found to
improve economy under heavily loaded conditions, while a deterioration will
occur during light and intermediate loading. An evaluation of emission and
nonemission-regulated carburetors shows the nonemissions carburetor better
suited for gasohol use. No effects on maximum power produced were noted with
gasohol. Simulated driveability tests with the L-141 engine on a dynamometer
showed differences in engine response between the different fuels, but actual
vehicle tests proved that driveability was not altered. A relatively short
endurance test with the L-141 engine on gasohol fuel indicates, based on engine
oil analysis, no significant change in engine wear rates. The endurance test did
indicate, however, that more frequent oil drain intervals may be required due to
TBN depletion of the engine oil. Cold start testing of the LDT-465-1C engine
indicates that gasohol is of inadequate cetane number to sustain normal engine
operation. Thus, it is recommended that gasohol not be used in the LDT-465
family of engines. (Author)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be hard on any rubber parts in the system and also dissolve any gunk in the system.

I fear this will have the same results as Wreckerman's paint thinner. I personally wouldn't run it.

I know of a market for the waste methanol. If you want to make some cash, send me a PM.

hemttfan

Methanol will really mess up your rubber seals and gaskets. If you want to run Methanol you will need to replace your seals and gaskets with Viton lines. I don't know how the engine would handle it but your regular rubber gaskets won't.

Last edited: