• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it possible

armytruck63

Dude, that trailer weighs more than five times the weight of your M880. What route are you planning to take? I have relatives in Illinois and I want to warn them to stay out of your way! :cookoo:

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
there is a pintle hitch on the trailer and use truck brakes to stop
If I remember correctly (again) there were quick disconnect air and hydrolic lines on the trailer.

It would not be hard to cobble together some air lines to connect with the 800 series brakes.

You would also need tow lights.

Dude, that trailer weighs more than five time the weight of your M880.
I hope he was meaning an 800 series 5 ton......if he is talking about a Dodge pickup I have to agree that that would not work.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That MK17 is very nose heavy, even moreso without the crane countering it on the back. Tongue weight could easily be 3000#. May have to add few thousand pounds of suitcase weights to the nose of the 880.

gunboy1656

Just so I am sure, you want to tow this...

20 Ton MK17 dropside cargo trailer - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

with a Dodge pick up, correct? Like many others I don't think it is going to be a wise idea, Not even considering the stopping issue. That Dodge is not meant to pull that much weight.

If your looking at any other Mk17, then the one I posted up, more then likely it will not have the pintle hitch.

OH if you do decide to do it, forget pics. You need to have a chase car,I want to see a video.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a Chevy 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pull start my 21,000 lbs M813. He was spinning the he!! out of his tires, and I'm not sure I've seen a pickup torqued quite like this one. But it worked!! Thank goodness for good samaritans that aren't afraid to work the sh*t out of a pickup.

I imagine an M880 pulling an Mk17 might look something like that. It's probably not something you'd want to do to your pickup on a regular basis.

Last edited:

67_C-30

I had a Chevy 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pull start my 21,000 lbs M813. He was spinning the he!! out of his tires, and I'm not sure I've seen a pickup torqued quite like this one. But it worked!! Thank goodness for good samaritans that aren't afraid to work the sh*t out of a pickup.

I imagine an M880 pulling an Mk17 might look something like that. It's probably not something you'd want to do to your pickup on a regular basis.
I would do that before I'd hook that monster to my truck and actually rely on the truck to pull it, track it, and stop it. You still had control of the steering and braking of that M813. That MK17 is going to have control of that M880 too, except its not going to have a driver! :shock: :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
All I'm going to say is that if there is any sort of accident, he's going to be up chit creek. Without a paddle, lifejacket, and that boat will have a lot of leaks...

armytruck63

Bravo, you're obviously new to the site, and I apologize if I was harsh earlier. What you have in mind is just plain unsafe for many reasons. While the M880 might be able to get the MK17 trailer moving, if you tried to get the combination stopped without trailer brakes at any speed over barely moving, the trailer would push the truck forward uncontrollably. If you're lucky, this would happen in a straight line. If not, your M800 would jack knife and be mangled by the trailer.

Any highway patrol officer that saw you going down a public road would probably stop you and begin writing a series of tickets.

If I were you, I would tell your mom's fiance to use his dump truck for this job (assuming it's big enough), or get the trailer professionally hauled. Don't stick your neck out, do something dangerous, and hurt yourself or someone else.

91W350

I have pulled a 78,000 pound tractor trailer to the Freightliner Dealer with my M1008, but he had steering and brakes, all I was doing is providing the go. He had computerized fuel issues. We had about 3/4 of one mile to go and I just left it in low gear, low side and we purred along. I think besides your braking issues, your tires may not carry the load. Way more weight than you want to tackle with a pickup. Across the farm or back lot is one thing, hitting the road with it would be out of the question in my book. Glen