• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it safe to tow a M103A3 at interstate speeds "70 mph"?

Navyt28c

I'm going to Hooks, Texas to recover a 103A3 that I won in a GL auction. I have a GMC 3500 dually set up to pull a equipment trailer I use on the ranch that has a pintel hitch. If you're not doing 70 to 75 on I30 back to Dallas you'll get run over. Is it safe to pull one of these trailers at that speed and any tips on getting in and out of the Hooks depot quickly would be great. thanks

86m1028

The entrance is now down just west of national guard building.
Ask for a map when signing in, the gl lot is at the far end of the base.
Call to make an appointment, Miranda is real nice, unlike previous lady.

Check tires & bearing temps often. I pull them at 75-80mph (legal speed limit) all the time.

You will get better milage with the tarp removed.

That trailer looked to be an m105, is there anything under the tarp ?

Last edited:

K9Vic

I have pulled a trailer with my M1009 from Hooks multiple times staying under 70mph on average and was never run over due to my speed. Granted the speed limit at that time was still 70mph before the recent change, but I found it was more dangerous when I actually got into Dallas area where people were more reckless and higher speeds. The reason I was staying at about 70mph was this is about the top safe speed in a M1009 and you have 5-10mph extra if needed.

The issue is not the trailer, it is the tires as already stated. Also remove the tarp as they can flap around and may get damaged due to that.

Just remember to go to the tax office and get a temp tag for the trailer, DPS & a local Police patrols that area and $5 is cheaper then a $100 ticket. With the temp tag have nothing in the trailer bed unless it is bolted to it. Put the spare tire you may bring and tarp in the back of the bed, this is part of the temp tag law that you can not use the trailer for transporting anything,

I would recommend stopping for some good BBQ on your way back at Texas Bar-B-Que Corral just west of Mt. Vernon on I-30. Very good and worth the stop with large parking area for big rigs.
Texas Bar-B-Que Corral

KaiserM109

No problem! I towed an MKT-85, which is on an M103 chasis, at those speeds. I’ve also towed M105s at highway speeds.

If possible, pop the little hat and get a look at the grease. You might at least jack each wheel up and see if it spins okay. You could easily have a stuck brake shoe.

If the trailer is old, you might need to do a service job on the bearings, but at least get a look at them. It only takes a Phillips screw driver to get the cap off. If you wind up greasing them, put between 15 and 25 ft-lb of torque on the nut.

Whatever you do, stop after 10 mi. of highway speed and feel the brake drums for heat and the little cap over the bearings. If you can’t keep your hand on the metal, you have a problem.

If you go to tow it out of the yard and the wheels won’t turn, look and see if it has a small air tank. If it does, make sure it is empty. That tank sets the brakes through the relay valve when air is lost on the emergency line.

Good luck.

Navyt28c

Thanks for the reply, I've seen a really cool bbq smoker that was built on a 105 frame at local 4x4 events like the Rednecks with Paychecks and Little Sahara in Okla. Do you know if there are any phots of it ? I think some of my friends said the owner lives in Ft. Worth or Grapevine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks