• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it true of all the slews of bugs that the deuce has?

Thanks a bundle HD, and love the story on your A3. I don't know why but the ol 2.5 tons seem to have won my heart outside of the 5 tons. Don't get me wrong I love the 5 tons but there's something special about the 2.5 tons to me, the seem just right for me ( payload capacity wise and size wise). So that transmission was only made specifically for the A3 only? And it's crazy you said issues about it cause it's an Allison, best automatics ever made.

HDN

It's my understanding that the problem with the AT1545 on the M35A3 is that it wasn't really designed for the loads the truck was designed to operate with. The GVWR of the truck is around 19000 lbs, going up to about 25000 lbs GCWR. The truck's GCWR is actually a little over the AT1545's load rating for general truck applications.

I think it was selected as the automatic transmission to use because it takes up about the same space as the original 5-speed manual and didn't require much, if any, adjustment to the location of the transfer case. The MT643 would've been too long to fit without sliding either the transfer case back or the engine forward, both of which I think would involve frame adjustments above the budget the Army had in mind.

So there's a deuce I'm wanting to check out in my area for sale and I'm pretty sure it has asbestos brakes, for future reference, do any of y'all know how to change those brakes? And a way to do it without breathing in the dust?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So there's a deuce I'm wanting to check out in my area for sale and I'm pretty sure it has asbestos brakes, for future reference, do any of y'all know how to change those brakes? And a way to do it without breathing in the dust?
I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are brake shoes that aren't asbestos. Okay, well maybe ceramic on passenger cars. The big thing is to be smart. Wear a mask that fits snugly around your pie hole and wet down the shoes and drum with brake parts cleaner. Don't be a big dummy and blow that brake dust with an air nozzle and you really should be fine.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks mullany, dad wanted me to ask so we can know for future reference. But it's a 1971 with winch and locking hubs and power steering. He wants $10,500 for it and it's very straight and unabused, no rust on it whatsoever.
That sounds like a reasonable number considering the current market. Biggest plus would be the lack of rust. You might take a refrigerator magnet with you. Down behind the front wheels is one of the worst places for rust - and even though bondo isn't a death nail - knowing that it may have been repaired that way would be worth knowing.

I would almost bet the farm on asbestos brakes. Still, with a little planning that isn't really a problem.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I had the bearing lock nuts off I taped up the threads to protect them, covering the hole in the end. After drums/hubs were off and the bearings off I sprayed the brake pads and everything else with engine degreaser and hosed it down. This kept the dust down. Then I took them apart cleaned everything good and sprayed WD40 on unpainted surfaces to protect them until reassembly. YMMV.

Thanks mullany, so the fronts are very prone to having bad Rust? And why do you say bring a refrigerator magnet? Is it to see what has bondo on it? I currently have $7800 but it seems nobody wants Deuce's in the area of town I live in so that's good.

fasttruck

Gert a lubrication order and read it. The key to survival especially on a vehicle with manual steering is lubrication. A deuce without a winch has over 30 grease points, 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. My most recent deuce was neglected in terms of maintenance by the PO. Once properly lubed and adjusted it has given good service.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a .PDF version of GTA 9-1-185 (5 pages), print it off and keep it in your binder for the deuce. it's title is "Systematic Inspection Procedure for the 2 1/2 Ton Truck". The Lube Order is LO 9-2320-209-12-1 and is 14 pages long. Keep it in your truck binder also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks