• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it worth having a pro set my timing?

kenz5380

I have a 1985 M1008. I've never messed with the timing at all, but lately I've become concerned that it is possibly too advanced as there is a lot of diesel rattle and I don't know if I'm being paranoid or if it is really bad timing. It seemed to get better when I added some sea foam to the fuel on one tank. I understand that is from increased cetane.
How much do pros charge to set the timing and does anyone know of one in Denver that I could trust to do a good job?

Thank you for your advice.

Matt65

If worried about timing, I would verify the scribe mark allignment on the IP. Have you had your injectors pop tested lately?

Iceman3005

I just advanced my timing about 4-5 degrees, it knocked a little bit more than usual, almost not noticeable. But it did give it new life, feels like I have a 350 chevy under the hood!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wound suspect dirty injector nozzles. If the sea foam is making it run smoother its probally getting a more complete combustion. Most 6.2 timing issues come from a timing chain that is streached. Not a IP out if time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
boosting up your post count?
Thread count is the least of my worries, and as far as I am concerned I do not care what anybody's count is, it is what thay bring to the SITE, attitude, and there personal bearing

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need a Diesel mechanic, go talk to the guys at 'Diesels Only' over on 1400 W. Alameda - they do diesel inspections - there is ONE GUY there who was an Army mechanic years ago and he loves the old green iron.

If you ask them nicely, they can do what ever you want. That's where I used to get mine inspected every other year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks