• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my deuce a crane truck now?

Kaiserjeeps

Well it's been 7 months down now due to a clutch, interior strip and repaint. I drove it 2 miles and discovered I had a blown head gasket. I have a new style set waiting to go. I bought a harbor freight pick up crane and modified it a little. I made a taller mast at 3 feet. I also installed a jeep wheel bearing in the top so it spins with a slight wind.

Imageshack - img2023x.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

Imageshack - img2022y.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

I put a hand winch and 25 feet of 3/16 cable in addition to the existing fixed hook.

Imageshack - img1825m.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

It goes on the front bumper with mounts I made. Most everything was made from existing brackets I had laying around.

Imageshack - img2049w.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

It will be kept in the back where it can be used. It fits with the troop seats up or down.

Imageshack - img2075.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

Imageshack - img2062cj.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

If I pull the rear bow I can get a tall load in.

Imageshack - img2067xw.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

So I can see what I am aiming for.

Imageshack - img2052k.jpg - Uploaded by militaryjunk

Now to do the cylinder heads....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's awesome. Love it.

toddm

Looks great, I added mine for loading and unloading tires. I had to cut 4" out of it so it would fit under my cargo cover, then I added a few pulleys and hand crank winch. It's better than trying to lift those heavy suckers into the bed by yourself!

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, I added mine for loading and unloading tires. I had to cut 4" out of it so it would fit under my cargo cover, then I added a few pulleys and hand crank winch. It's better than trying to lift those heavy suckers into the bed by yourself!
That's funny. Your hoist is the exact one I have and you did the same thing I did...removing 4 inches from it. I use a 1000# chain hoist on mine instead of the wire rope and crank. I got mine from a military junk yard, where'd you bag yours?

ALFA2

Kaiserjeeps, that is a really unique, but useful fix for the harbor freight item, what type of jeep wheel bearing did you use, and what is the finished cranes weight capacity?

Thanks

ALFA2

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very nice. I have the same thing but mounted on the tail gate , alse with wing nuts so I can move it to the M109 trailer tongue to pick/load the gen set. Acehigh is correct, it works great on tires too.

toddm

The lift came in a package deal with a bandsaw, engine lift and some other stuff. Some guy came into the place that I work and sold my boss all of this stuff pretty cheap about 8 years ago. This lift sat in the corner all of that time and I gave him $50 for it. I bought small snatch blocks from Harbor Freight to use for the pulleys for the cable and bought the winch from them also. When I want to put the troop seats down I can pull the crane out of it's base and the seat fits perfectly over the base. So for less than $100 I had a useful thing for my truck.

Attachments

Kaiserjeeps

Thanks guys. I am not sure what it will hold. I have a couple buick 455's I have been trying to get rid of. I was going to hang one of those for the pictures but they are behind a customers rig. I have found that I need to stiffen the rear upper mount. Thats the one I need to be the strongest. When I swing the boom straight out the back and hang on it I can see flexing in the SS mounting plate on the bed. Some fine tuning I see. I got the pulley from ACE hardware from a closet door part. It does have bearings but I did not think to use one from a HF snatch block. If this one does not hold up I'll swap a new pulley in there.
I like the winch as it was free from a friend. The wheel bearing is a standard front bearing and race for a 60's or 70's CJ. I just welded a strip of sheet metal to hold the race in place. I did make the upper puck to hold the bearing in my lathe. So I did need to make several parts to make this work.
It really does spin in the wind. A clamp brake may be needed for really heavy stuff that is being loaded when it is not level.
Funny, I was touching up some of the paint and next thing you know I am redoing the truck bed. I also noticed if you look at the crane wrong it will chip the paint and HF orange paint wil glare out like a sore thumb. I'll have to carry a paint can in my spares.:)

Kaiserjeeps

I am going to make a 3/8 plate mount with a little wider footprint for the rear upper ring. The SS bracket I had was on the shelf and is only 1/4. It flexes a bit. I want it to lift a bit of weight before showing it. Fine tuning.[thumbzup]

markmontana

I found a small crane, good only for light duty:

Seriously- I am working on a bed crane that would fit in several locations on the truck. Planning to pick up a lost cost unit and then modify/upgrade it. Lots of good ideas here.

-

Attachments

Kaiserjeeps

I got a chance to use the crane. The upper mount was weak. It twisted with a load. I built another one and added a tie rod that works with the troop seats up or down. It worked like a charm. I just spent 4 days getting over 15,000 pounds of firewood. I was a little shocked to find I had stuffed 5500 pounds in a M105. I built the pintle to move the trailer. It did not like the tongue weight. The duece rear axle weight was 17150.
The duece handled it with one minor problem. My airpack malfunctioned yet again. It lightly applied the braked while I was driving. What a drag. I am done messing with it. I ordered a new one. I am taking the truck to the drag strip on saturday. It's truck day. I am hoping for slowest time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks