• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my M35A2 starter waterproof?

WyoDeuce

I have been having intermitent issues with my starter. I hear the solenoid click but it doesn't crank. After several tries it usually starts to crank.

This evening while trying to troubleshoot the problem again it started working while I was checking voltages. 24v to the solenoid. Good ground. I was checking to see what was happening when I pushed the starter button when it started to crank. I was holding the button in waiting for my voltmeter to register a number when it started to crank. 4 seconds or so. I normally would not hold the button for so long but I needed to get a voltage reading.

I have read the different threads on this issue but none of them have gotten to the root of the problem. When I go mudding and get the starter wet it is usually unhappy the next day. Is this starter suposed to be waterproof? If I take the starter out/apart and clean all of it will it just fill with crud the next time I go out? If this is true how can it be completely sealed to keep everything out? Taking a starter that big out is a pain (heavy) so I don't want to do it more than once.
I find it hard to believe that a vehicle built for the millitary could have such a fragile starting system. Am I missing something simple? :confused:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter is technically waterproof. The way the bellhousing is arranged, it kinda force feeds crap into the starter. Best bet is to plug the bell and find a 2 PSI regulator and pressurize the bellhousing

hklvette

How big is large? Mine is about like a beer can. Is there any magic voodo waiting to jump out if I dissasemble it to clean it? (springs flying out? etc.)
about beer can size is right. to disassemble, the copper disk is held on by a small (1/4") nut. when you take that off, be very careful as there's a spring behind the disk. I found this out the hard way and had to figure out how to put it all back together :oops: To rotate the disk, all you need to do is take the terminal cap off (the two small bolts hold the cover on, but be sure to remove ALL of the nuts as one of the large bolts has a lead connected to it inside).

If one side of the disk is pretty well used up, you can flip it and use it for a while more.

WyoDeuce

So its been a couple months since starter trouble. Put a rebuilt starter in from boyce. Everyting was fine until some fender deep mudding. It was unplanned and got deep fast. The bellhousing plug was out and the starter was force fed a lot of mud. Solenoid clicks but doesn't spin. @#$&!!! While I had everything apart again I removed the access plate under the clutch and sprayed the hose in the starter hole and in the access plate hole. I was amazed at how much mud came out. The lesson here is if you are even thinking about driving in mud you need to plug the bellhousing and you should probably have a fording kit.

Maverick1701

So its been a couple months since starter trouble. Put a rebuilt starter in from boyce. Everyting was fine until some fender deep mudding. It was unplanned and got deep fast. The bellhousing plug was out and the starter was force fed a lot of mud. Solenoid clicks but doesn't spin. @#$&!!! While I had everything apart again I removed the access plate under the clutch and sprayed the hose in the starter hole and in the access plate hole. I was amazed at how much mud came out. The lesson here is if you are even thinking about driving in mud you need to plug the bellhousing and you should probably have a fording kit.

imagine all the crap that gets between your clutch/pressure plate/etc. when you press the clutch in and out w/the bellhousing filled w/muddy water

WyoDeuce

Is the fording kit required for 2-3' of water? Or can you just pressurize the bell housing?
You could just pressurize the bellhousing or at least put the plug in. 2-3 feet can be bad if you make a wave. A snorkel would be good insurance. I think that the fording kit is kind of an all or nothing deal. Keep it dry or plan for the worst.

WyoDeuce

imagine all the crap that gets between your clutch/pressure plate/etc. when you press the clutch in and out w/the bellhousing filled w/muddy water
The clutch pedal feels much better after a good bath. It was filthy inside. Brown water running out for a while with the hose on full blast. There apears to be a grease zerk hiding behind the clutch access plate. How many of you guys knew that was there?

wesley bristow

I've been reading these post about this problem and mine is doing a lot of this things. I am so stumped, electrical problems are this worst for me to figure out, my problem started awhile ago when my deuce sat for awhile because I had to replace some torque arm bushings. I went to crank it one day to move it into the main part of my shop and I had power to everything, but when I hit the button I just heard clicking. My terminals are tight, I do a lot of deep water riding but I've had a plug in my bell housing and never noticed water in anything but my axels. I thought is was the starter relay, after I ordered a replacement and had my filter out of the way I noticed I don't have a relay. I've used a screw driver to jump the solenoid( which i'm sure's not good to do) to see if my starter was froze up. It would free spin but not engage, i'm at my wits end... don't know what to do? plus I haven't got to ride all summer and i'm having deuce withdraws, could someone help?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be the disk they are taking about, if yours is the type without a separate relay. (the disk within the beer can sized thing) May just need to clean or turn it. The solenoid plunger first moves the bendix into engagement with the flywheel and then pushes on the disk closing the circuit between the post connected to the battery and the post connected to the starter motor. It could also be that the bendix is frozen to the motor shaft. If the bendix does not move to engage the flywheel, the starter motor never gets the power from the solenoid. The clicking you hear may be the solenoid plunger taking up any available slack but not moving enough to push the disk, in this case. Here, you need to get the bendix to move freely on the shaft.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The solenoid draws about 40 amps and the start motor 250 or so. Make sure your batteries are in top shape.
The start button can't handle 40 amps for very long and there should be a "starter" relay in the circuit to reduce the start button current load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks