• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is Solargizer puttin' out?

During the 60-70 mph winds that powered up our recent wildfires my Solargizer was whisked off the cab of my deuce. I just have it sitting on top of the roof while parked and remove and stow in the battery compartment when driving. I just noticed it the other day during a walk around my truck.
It received some very small scratches when it hit the ground (I have 1" gravel under the truck) but that is the only thing I can see that happened to it. The picture looks like cracks but it is only surface scratches. The wiring doesn't look like it has any breaks in it but that's not to say that there are not any and just not visible to the naked eye.

Is there a unit of measurement that the Solargizer puts out such as a few miliamps that I could register with a voltmeter to see if it is still operating or do they operate on a pulse thing ( I think I remember reading this here) where I would have to wait/watch for the pulse? If the latter is the case, what is the frequency of the pulse?
Watching a voltmeter for a pulse may turn into a substitute replacement candidate for watching the grass grow and I don't have the delicacy of spare time available lately......... :cry:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

papercu

out

Well you can check it with a volt meter it will need to be in sunlight of course. Voltage will vary with the amount of light.
But the ones I seen has a red LED on the black box to let you know it working and on the right terminals, not sure in the military ones have it or not. Wayne

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: out

They do the pulse thing that you mentioned. I think the pulse frequency is somewhere in the several kilohertz range.

Mine make a high-pitched whine when they're operating, and the whine changes pitch depending on the amount of light. You might not be able to hear the whine if you mistreated your ears when you were younger, though! :)

acetomatoco

RE: out

The LED dies on some of them, but the system still works... Use your voltmeter on it and you will see...Pulsing only occurs some small fraction of the time... They take a lot of abuse... You might think of velcro sided tape to hold it on... works fine and you can remove it easy enough when you are travelilng..

Re: RE: out

acetomatoco said:
The LED dies on some of them, but the system still works... Use your voltmeter on it and you will see...Pulsing only occurs some small fraction of the time... They take a lot of abuse... You might think of velcro sided tape to hold it on... works fine and you can remove it easy enough when you are travelilng..
Hey, that sounds good. I did not know it had a LED on the box mid cable. I will check that.
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to hear any whine since I have been trapshooting, hunting, rock concerts, and thumpin' ear-bleed Metal music for 30+ years. Everything above 5000 hz is just a memory. What?

I have a piece of magnetic sign material that I painted OD Green that I am going to silicon the Solargizer to....................I just gotta remember where I put it after I painted it. :roll:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: out

Mine all have the LED on them and the light lights up when there is sun shining on it. I have had good results with it and the real test will be how the trucks start when I get home from Korea. I like the fact that they are in epoxy and have long leads on them allowing a variety of mounting options. I do not think the fall would hurt the cell and I think the weakest link is the control box but I have not had one fail yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks