• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is that temp rise normal

jeep454x4

I have a 68 m35a2 and it runs really good maybe too good I have noticed that on the flats 55 mph is really no problem 60 mph no problem then I start to get concerned about rpm but it would still go if I let it. On the hills no problem but the water temp starts to climb and I have seen 200 and a little higher. THis is my first deuce and I understand there is a learning curve. Just wanted to know what is normal and what I should be worried about.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel could have been turned up or the fuel density compensator was bypassed and the fuel not turned down.

Two things to check....

A side effect of setting fuel injection quantities above what the TM prescribes is that the engine is less "soldier-resistant" and, when making full power, runs quite a bit warmer.

Your setup may well be safe, but you will never know unless you check how many threads are showing on the adjustment screw, check for FDC bypass and, even better, run an exhaust gas temperature gauge.

Which tire size are you running? You probably should be concerned about running 60mph if you are on stock 9.00x20 tires. People much wiser than me recommend sticking to 2100-2200 rpm for cruising and to stay away from the 2600 max rpm for the LDT engine.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 9:00 X 20 NDTs on it you should not drive the truck over 55. That being said, I never take mine over 52 mph and try to keep it around 50. When my A2 is warmed up it sits rock solid on 180 degrees - never goes higher and never goes lower. Someone may have turned up the fuel in your truck. I would recommend checking the EGT before you possibly damage it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the fuel has been turned to it that can cause the heat to buiild......more fuel=more heat....diesels run better at higher temps up to a point.....then things start going south.

Easing your foot out of it should allow it to cool down assuming you have no cooling system issues.....when was the last time you changed anti-freeze and ran some radiator flush through the system.

Installing a pyrometer will give you the EGT when you are in a hard pull or running wide open with a load.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier you posted this in another thread.
I have a 68 and I'm not kidding when I say that if I let it it would likely do 70 or it would fly apart trying. There is safety wire on every thing under the hood and it looks stock. I noticed that my water temp does go up to around 200 when going up hills, but normally stays around 160-165, is that normal. I'm thinking that its getting to much fuel, and yes it has enough power to pull a house down. This is my first deuce and wont be the last. I would just like to know what the standard operating parameters are.
Now you started a thread on it here. We call that cross-posting, and it is against the rules(for several good reasons).

• Cross-post multiple posts or threads about the same topic. This includes either creating multiple threads about the same topic in multiple forums or the same thread repeatedly or posting the same post within multiple existing threads.

91W350

Mine runs right on the thermostat, rock solid.... when it was 109 degrees here I did see it creeping up a little, about two needle widths.. I am one of the slow guys though, seldom breaking 2000 rpm in any gear. Glen

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mentioned this very worry last week when I took the truck to Cincy. My normal driving is around town kind of driving and not interstate. So I'm driving a state route and at the end of the trip there is a hill that is a couple miles long and at the top my engine temp was climbing. Around town she runs 180 but now that I'm driving more on the interstate it is running up to about 195-198.

I only run about 45-50mph on a good day. This truck runs great at that speed so I don't push it. If I wanted speed I'd get something else.

The only thing slower than me on the highway are the dead possums.

:)

jeep454x4

The tires are the stock 900x20"s and the cooling system was flushed with some degree of effort and new coolant added with a 1-1 ratio it hasn't boiled over but I think it might if I were to stand on it. I am amazed at the pulling potential of this truck. I own or have owned a diesel from all of the big three and there is just no comparison, well except for how long it takes to get there and I still cant find the A/C control and the CD player

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I drove hendersonJs deuce to WI. from GA. It did right at 55 all the way, temp stayed between 180 and 200, stayed under tac (2500) all the way, running 900x20s,

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ron, the multifuels top of torque curve is 1900 rpm, after that power drops off. when the same engine was used in white tractors, etc, gov was set for 2200 rpm max. engines in military vehicles are expendable, and many come with govs set too high, but for private owners i would never run it past 2500 and expect it to survive.

tom

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Tom, thanks, learn something every day, will delete part of my post to reflect that

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure could be a fuel issue I am kind of Glen's camp I just about never exceed 2200 RPM with my Deuce, if it really hot outside I have seen 190 degrees on my temp gauge going down the highway but as a rule it sits at 180 degrees and never moves. Have you done a thouough flushing of your cooling system yet? That is also a possibility to consider????
KK

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
running hot can often be directly linked to leaking head gaskets, not blown, but just leaking enough to heat the coolant and add some pressure to the radiator. there is a chemical test where you pull some of the air from the radiator to see if there is combustion gasses in it. i have seen this problem first hand last for almost 2 years before it got bad enough to be obvious by other means.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks