• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the CTIS a deal breaker?

TroyHog

I was considering a 939 dump truck to go with my cargo on the farm. Seems I have heard that the CTIS is a bad deal, and all the dump trucks seem to have it.

Is is a deal breaker? I mean, should it be avoided due to mainentence nightmares?

Thanks.

HASSON1911

Nope mine had it and worked. It was nice when I used it but said I would disable it the second it gave me trouble... I took it off this fall. But I have no less of a truck. So no I would say it's not a deal breaker because even disabling it isn't that hard.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If buying an obsolete truck that may need modifications to be kept reliably functional is your idea of a deal breaker, then yes it is.

goldneagle

If buying an obsolete truck that may need modifications to be kept reliably functional is your idea of a deal breaker, then yes it is.
Is it really necessary for moderators to be sarcastic all the time? You are supposed to lead by example.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trucks and the parts are obsolete.

This means that in order to make use of them, you need to be able to make modifications to maintain them in whatever fashion you feel you need.

Is that worded better GE?

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was being realistic.

Since the OP did not say what he wants to achieve with his truck, it is hard to say anything else that is factual and helpful.

I'm a moderator, not a clairvoyant medium.

paradeduty

Oh come on GE, I can see where DH is coming from. Basically, the question is "is it worth considering buying a 20 or 25 year old specialty truck if one of the accessory systems may fail?" Sorry, most of my MV's fall into the 20 to 25 category and I EXPECT things to fail. Do I like it - No, but you do the repairs and consider yourself lucky to have been able to buy such a vehicle at what is usually a bargain price. If one is planning on really working one of these trucks and dependability is of critical importance, it might be worth considering a newer commercial truck. Nothing is "free" - there is always a tradeoff. The newer the vehicle, the lower the odds of having a failure (at least that is the theory!). We all make concessions on durability, etc., based on what our budget constraints and percieved usage/requirements are. I think DH may have just been offering some "tough love" with his comment. Sometimes we all need the "duh" comments to put our choices in perspective!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The CTIS is still on my M927 and may work (I never cycled it to see since it never goes off road). I have removed the equipment off of two rear wheels but still have it. When I swapped out the axle on the M923 I recently bought I sealed the system off at the axles and where the air line came in to the axle itself. The system is easily removed/disconnected so IMHO it is not a deal breaker. I was watching some M923A2 trucks that recently sold out of Atlanta and I noticed that even though there was a CTIS control box on the shifter tower there was no CTIS valves on the wheel. I assume that the last unit the truck was in modified them.

TroyHog

Thanks for the quick replies. And with all due respect, I'll have to back the eagle up on this one. The question wasn't "will I ever have to work on this old truck?", it was specific to a specialized system on the truck that I am unfamiliar with. DH's reply had nothing constructive in it.

The post said I was on the farm. We live obsolete EVERY day (old tractors, old trucks, old combines, fabrication is a way of life) - just so the rest of the world can go to the grocery store and not worry where it came from.

No harm done - But let's keep this a place where people WANT to come to seek out wisdom that they do not possess.

Thanks again

Carlo

I have 2 M923A2's and neither have had problems. I think I'm one of the very few that have had no problems for I hear many people have.
I love airing down on a rough road or in deep snow.

goldneagle

JUst because our military stopped using them does not mean they are obsolete. There are plenty of other countries around the world that still use them in their fleet. I like wreckerman's answer a lot more. He got the info across without being sarcastic. Thank you Richard.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(old tractors, old trucks, old combines, fabrication is a way of life)
Once again, I'm not clairvoyant. Letting us know your abilities, expectations and needs, makes a difference(in the replies you get).

I like wreckerman's answer a lot more. He got the info across without being sarcastic. Thank you Richard.
Thank God this ain't a popularity contest, huh GE?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You post a question on the internet, be prepared to get answers. If you need answers you like, feel free to post on "the Care Bears" forum or even "Barney's" forum. This site reflects the real world where people will post what is on their mind. You can always click the "ignore" button and not see posts from any member you choose. Just because you see things one way doesn't mean that others see them the same way.

TroyHog

Appreciate it. I am not sure where I got the notion that they were a nightmare and could not be easily disabled. Apparently, i received some bad information, which i am glad was not accurate.

Great when the forum works as designed!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on what you need. If you need the super singles, then you have to deal with the potential problems if your truck has CTIS; if it breaks, you can eliminate it or fix it. Maybe not a big deal.

When I bought my M929, I thought about which in my opinion is better for my needs. I'm not going to work the truck (much), so dual wheels on the rear makes more sense. With singles, one flat tire stops you. I only have to stop if the flat is on the front. I can also change the smaller tire by myself if I have to.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I wanted a 5 ton and I wanted a 939 series, I'd want an A2 for the engine. I'd gladly disable the CTIS to get the good engine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just maintain it like it is supposed to be and get it. CTIS is simple....

Hoefler

No worries if you keep your CTIS equipped truck on the farm. If it fails and you cant get it to work, disconnect it. If your land has sand pits you wish to drive through-CTIS it! If you dont have sand-KISS it (Keep it simple slim)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks