• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the HMMWV EPA or DOT certified

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is easy. Get a title from one of the title services and get plates from your state. Go down there and attach the plates and drive it across. The ICE boys are looking for dope and stowaways, not EPA compliance. If anyone asks, you drove across the border to buy a case of tequila to send to me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how they do it but there is a bunch of construction and farm equipment on the market that doesn't meet EPA regs. It's comming from overseas and isn't supposed to be over here but it's making it here somehow. I had a CAT 963 trackloader that was made in the US but for a overseas market (was never supposed to be sold over here). It wasn't EPA compliant and was a pain trying to find engine parts.

EZFEED

I just did this.......

The regs are 21 years old or older for EPA exempt on the 3520-1 form and 25 years old or older for DOT exempt on the HS-7. Basically if the vehicle is not 25 years old or older you cannot import it and title it for the road. It will be offroad only.

Also you will find yourself in some serious trouble with the U.S. State Department for re-importing U.S. military equipment without an official retransfer authorization which I might add you will never get.

Import old foreign manufacture stuff, its easier :)

EZFEED

I don't know how they do it but there is a bunch of construction and farm equipment on the market that doesn't meet EPA regs. It's comming from overseas and isn't supposed to be over here but it's making it here somehow. I had a CAT 963 trackloader that was made in the US but for a overseas market (was never supposed to be sold over here). It wasn't EPA compliant and was a pain trying to find engine parts.
Whole different category. These are not passenger vehicles nor are they military hardware.

AndrewH

You KNOW the cubans would have flotation and an outboard strapped to that thing and be into the country in a few hours. Wait, that gives me an idea.....Could you import it for offroad use only without problems?

EZFEED

Like I said, depends on state dept controls. Even as an offroad only vehicle it is still ex-uncle sam property and therefore under control.

If it was in the foreign country for over 10 years it is possible in some cases for it to be considered a foreign military vehicle but it is up to YOU to prove this and back it with a paper trail. Folks trying to import WW2 lend lease stuff are always running into this. If it is legit lend lease to a countries official standing armed forces and then surplused there will be a paper trail. Problem is getting the documentation that proves the legitimate purchase or lend lease to the country, the amount of time the vehicle was held by the said army, and the official documentation that the vehicle was scrapped or sold as surplus.

If you can get that then you have an 80% chance of the State Dept releasing it. The usual wait time for a reply from the State Dept is about 4 months to a year sometimes........sometimes shorter but usually several months.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you will find yourself in some serious trouble with the U.S. State Department for re-importing U.S. military equipment without an official retransfer authorization which I might add you will never get.

Import old foreign manufacture stuff, its easier :)
Are you saying it's easier to import foreign military stuff than it is US stuff that orginated here and you're just bringing it back? I'm not saying you're not right it just seems odd.

gem1410

I thought that anything leaving the US could be brought back in--Customs treats this truck as a big paperwork problem between them selfs--EPA--DOT--and I am told the Dept of Agriculture is going to inspect it for insects and charge me a fee. There is a good chance it is not going to be allowed in--

EZFEED

Yep thats exactly what I said. Lots of stuff regarding the private ownership of U.S. military equipment is odd.
I personally know of at least three scout cars, one M-4 sherman, and one Halftrack that different fellows in the hobby have tried to get back in the states before Uncle Sam shut us down....those vehicles were all seized by customs and the owners/importers fined.
I wont even mess with U.S. stuff anymore unless it is here already or the paperwork certifying its origins is 100%.

gem1410

I agree with you--I had no idea it was such a problem--The HMMWV's exported out of our country were brought into another country as conditional vehicles to be used for a specific time period--Such as being used on a large pipeline project--when the time or project is up the vehical must leave the country--That is what is going on here--Cheap price $10000 and no where to go-----

ida34

Although weird it is true, you can get a Russian T-72 imported with a demil gun but can't get an obsolete Stuart back in the country. This is what happens when laws are enacted by people listening to other people that do not know anything about what they are talking about.

M725

You need to find the person or company that imported all those WW2 trucks a while back. They might be able to help you. They were given to those countrys after the war.

saddamsnightmare

April 16th, 2009.

1963 Swiss Unimog S404.114's are a snap.... they are so old they just about won't be compliant with anything modern, BUT they are antiques and were road legal there..... My S404.114 still has the Swiss yellow stop lights, and it passed inspection in Texas...... Then I found out it didn't need inspected!

And the Unimogs will pretty much kick a hummers butt except for speed on the road.....:twisted:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

EZFEED

^^^^^ Take Saddamsnightmare as Gospel cause its the truth :) Mogs are evil little machines!

And I'd wager to say he did too by what he wrote. You can import 25 year old foreign MV's often times a whole lot cheaper than buying a domestic vehicle. Now when you get into armored stuff and stuff with weapons you have to add the ATF F-6 to the list with EPA and DOT paperwork and have the weapons deactivated to their specs. If your just looking for 4X4, 6X6 cargo trucks or light vehicles then its a breeze and the weight will let you ship it fairly cheap.
Best thing about it is the vehicles are FMVSS exempt and will qualify for antique/historical registration and then you get cheap insurance and other goodies like permanent tags, no inspection stickers, etc. :D

Last edited:

Tanner

This is easy. Get a title from one of the title services and get plates from your state. Go down there and attach the plates and drive it across. The ICE boys are looking for dope and stowaways, not EPA compliance. If anyone asks, you drove across the border to buy a case of tequila to send to me.
Don't EVEN think about going to the title services... this just opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms & questions from the Motor Vehicle departments! MANY STATES will not accept the documents from the title companies...

On the other hand - anyone see the irony in the fact that it's a b*tch to try & get a US-built truck across the Southern Border back & into the US due to gov't types watching, but other folks can get by the 'truck-watchers'? ;-)

'Tanner'

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will never get a HMMWV back into the country even from Mexico....If some of you remember some time ago of a GI or contractor stationed in Saudi Arabia
took an M1026 and turned it into an H1, Beutiful truck when all was said and done, he tried to ship it back.....it stayed in customs hold in US for years!
Not sure what eventually happend to it, I know he tried to sell it on E-Bay, sold as is and where is....LOL
He had a bunch of money invested in that truck.....You cannot re-import current "M" series vehicles back into the US, They can leave, but they can't come back.
Alot of the reasons have already been discussed. Also as stated, why Bother, there are plenty of HMMWV's for sale in the US.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks