• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the M880 gearbound

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Addicted to Surplus

Yikes! I've seen M1031s sell at that price. I shouda sold mine instead of chopping it up.
Hey Kenny are you talking CUCV M1031s? Haven't seen them go for that price
in a long time otherwise there whould be at least 2 in Donna's back yard!! HAHA
Am I the only one that has watched auction prices go higher and higher in the
past few years? And I do all the auctions including live auctions south, central and north Florida and some times GA.
See another one aquired during the high waters in south Florida. It was eather fishing or bidding on line.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's been a while but that is where they used to sell. Sadly I never bought one. Nice new toy there Roy, shoulda bought the boat though.

stonesoup

Maybe it's the rustproofing they did way back when, or maybe it's the SC weather, but my M880 has zero rust. Not a bit. But the ballast resistor did go out immediately after I got it. The issues mine has had: fuel gauge inop, replaced elec ign and ballast resistor, replaced carb with factory rebuilt, windshield wiper buttons pop off but only right when you need them most, brake booster seems to have a vac leak causing the truck to die when you pump the brakes...but i just plugged it off for now and deal with manual brakes. All in all not bad for $1500 total so far. I may keep it, I may not...the 6-8mpg is not thrilling me right now. Good trucks though IMO.

goodbrewing

...the 6-8mpg is not thrilling me right now. Good trucks though IMO.
I don't know why your fuel mileage is so bad. I have been driving a couple different M886 ambulances for many years and I always get 10-11 mpg and I have a heavy foot. I got 8-9 towing a trailer with another M886 on it. I drive around Vt mostly so it is not flat traveling. It doesn't seem to matter much if it is around town or highway.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go looking for different wheels, make sure you get the wheels that fit Dodge and/or Ford 8-luggers. GM trucks had a smaller-diameter hub opening, so GM 8-lug wheels won't fit on Dodge nor Ford....but you CAN use Dodge/Ford (pre-1998 Ford that is) 8-lug wheels on GM trucks.

ETA: FWIW, Dexter 7K & 8K trailer axles (8-lug) only accept Dodge or pre-1998 Ford wheels...GM wheels have too small of a hub opening to fit on these axles. Ask me how I know.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine

I worked on these in the cal guard m880 n m882 most are still running the same eng they were sold with from the military. They are a lot better than there replacements,the m1008 etc most of them we had to change at least 1 eng and I had to change a rear ends in 2 1009's. I own 2 so far,an m880 m890 may get an CHERRY m882 soon also.

Attachments

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
want

Talking about 880's etc I am looking for 1 very badly (if its still around) it was in my mp unit in san mateo ca. The USA # was NGOKWO was an m882 would give good $$ if in good shape still.

stonesoup

I don't know why your fuel mileage is so bad. I have been driving a couple different M886 ambulances for many years and I always get 10-11 mpg and I have a heavy foot. I got 8-9 towing a trailer with another M886 on it. I drive around Vt mostly so it is not flat traveling. It doesn't seem to matter much if it is around town or highway.
I may get better, the fuel gauge does not work so I estimate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks