• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the starter bad????

airmech3839

I am working on a truck that has been changed to 12v and has 2 HD batts. The batts have about 10.85 volts. and I get lights and glow plugs and all the other bells and whistles. I went to turn over and nothing.. relays clicked but no starter noise. went to starter and found wire to have power from batt. I tried jumping stater and nothing!! I found a spot on batt wire that had chaffed thru and arched on the starter body at some point...could that kill a starter and I jumped it between the 2 large studs on the starter....and nothing...

Pulled starter and will take it to get it checked out on Thursday. And replace the wire from batt to starter.

Just looking to verify my insticts....

Tracy

airmech3839

Batts on charge... Will check again...also found a spot on hood where the POS of one of the batts was hitting and probably draining the batts and causing all sorts of issues!! Will get some pictures... wires are rigged on this truck so I am trying to put it together and make sure all connectins are good. Like I said I will have to wait till thurs to do anything with the truck. Its not at my house and I will have to watch my kids on wed.

Tracy

tonka tester

charge the bats. i had the starter relay go bad on two trucks... since i made them manual glowplugs, i just added another button for the starter... no problems since, goin on 8 years:wink:

Sgt Hulka

"Spot on hood?" Wow. Get the basics under control first. Clean and redo all major connections. Eliminate any random shorts (like the hood). And the batteries are way too low... Then try and let us know...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks