• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a clutch option?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen several multifuels turned to the max running the stock clutch without problems. I tend to think something's got to be going on other than the clutch. The button type clutch (the pic gimpy posted) is a stronger clutch than the standard disc type.

Are you sure you don't have the truck turned up too much? Do you have a pyro and if so, what it reading? I'm worried that if you're turning enough hp that a stock clutch won't hold you may break other things if you get a clutch that won't slip.

treeguy

It sounds like the OP was having this problem before he had the fw turned (if I'm reading his first post correctly) and after he turned up the fuel. The problem has to be something else. Is the linkage to the peddle hung up or out of adj. some how?

hemichallenger

when the flywheel was turned, was there a edge left, the pp would set flat, tight against the fw, but the small edge could keep it up a bit, not allowing the disk total compression, I have seen this happen in machined fws before, sometimes machined for a different pp. It does not take much of a edge to have clutch slippage under load
No the flywheel was fine I turned it myself. When it slipped I pulled it and turned it with a 36 grit wheel to give it some bite. The last time I had it out I tryed A new flywheel that I had.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No there were no bolts.
What about a U shaped clips in the springs to do as gimpy said, I have seen this on some HD pressure plates, a lot easier on the mounting bolts doing the install, once the pp is touqued, compressing the springs and the clips can be pulled out, with the clips in, you can not get full compression

I got my old AUTOCAR 5t because the previous owner had a clutch problem, thay put a NEW one in, it was WORSE then the old one, thay gave up and parked it, 10 years later I got it with a bad clutch, drug it home, climbed under to get clutch numbers, WHAT do I SEE, the INSTALL clips were still there, so just a thought

Last edited:

hemichallenger

I am not sure were the bolts or clips would go but I do not see anything. The new one was the same. This is the one I took out. It is rusty from being outside. It was clean when I removed it. I have only changed a few deuce clutchs so not up to speed with them. I change A lot of 15.5 double disc pull type and they have 2 blocks of wood to keep the arms in place.

Attachments

hemichallenger

It sounds like the OP was having this problem before he had the fw turned (if I'm reading his first post correctly) and after he turned up the fuel. The problem has to be something else. Is the linkage to the peddle hung up or out of adj. some how?
It only slips when the fuel is turned up. There is room between the bearing and the fingers. There is 2 inches of free play. The linkage is free and not binding or rubbing.

ODdave

I LIKE [thumbzup]

It would be some what un-orthodox but its free. Are any of the PP & disks usable? not scorched? If so mabye take .010 or so off of the mounting tabs on the PP and see if that might help? I know a guy up here that can biuld you a clutch that wont slip.....but thats a haul. He biulds 12in singles that hold 700ftlb for me. And his prices are great.

hemichallenger

I LIKE [thumbzup]

It would be some what un-orthodox but its free. Are any of the PP & disks usable? not scorched? If so mabye take .010 or so off of the mounting tabs on the PP and see if that might help? I know a guy up here that can biuld you a clutch that wont slip.....but thats a haul. He biulds 12in singles that hold 700ftlb for me. And his prices are great.
I would be happy to spend the money and only take it back apart one more time. If you could pm me his number it would be great.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there HAS to be a cause besides the disk, others have run 1600s and a juiced motor with NO SLIP, overloaded deuces, loaded deuce dumps don't have slippage, starting out in lower gears then up shifting when rolling, no slip, stall maybe when lugged down to far, but NO SLIP, this SLIP has been a problem from the start no matter if NEW clutch, FW. or OLD set up , so what else is there, are the splines on the input shaft smooth, no ware indents from the disk hub, the input shaft does not have a slight twist, pilot bearing worn, trans input bearing worn, allowing a slight side load and not FULL face to face load and this may sound DUMB, CAN'T BE, what about motor crankshaft end play (thrust bearing). I have worked on BIG trucks and equipment all my life, there is a cause, the HD disk may be a fix, though more then likely a temp. one because the root cause was not addressed, it will be putting MORE load on the cause, thus ACCELATING the cause

The only thing you did by juicing the motor and the big tires is bring a OLD CONDITION to the SLIP POINT

Last edited:

hemichallenger

Ok this is a follow up to the clutch slipping problem I was having. I had A guy I deal with in Orlando make a 7 paddle disc and add some spring pressure to the pressure plate and now I have not been able to get the clutch to slip. It was $320. and he used the clutch hub and built the rest. I got this idea after looking at a disc that was in a five ton multifuel that had a differnt disc.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wonder if just adding spring pressure to the PP would have taken care of it. Thanks for updating the thread.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The four finger PP does not have as strong a set of springs as the three finger 'stamped' ones as was detailed in another thread. Because they are cast, the four finger ones are not as strong either and tend to brake right at the pivot point. The redesigned PP replaced the four finger one and is the one you will get from anyone that has new stock.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 1100 Massey Ferguson tractor that had a Waukesha I-6 320 CI gas engine in it that went bad. I machined all of the parts and made frame brackets to put a GMC 478 V-6 gas in it. The I-6 was about 97 HP and the V-6 is about 250. The tractor clutch is very similar to the ones in our trucks. I knew it probably would not hold the V-6, so I took the pressure plate apart and checked the spring pressure. I rummaged around in the spare parts bins and found that valve springs out of a Dodge 440 HP motor would fit and had a higher pressure. I re-assembled the pressure plate and set it up. I have been running the tractor both in pulls and farming for 20 years now with no problems. The clutch is quite positive. When you let it out, the tractor seems to quiver a bit, then the clutch locks up and the wheels turn a bit under load. I did not put in any special compound disc. I would have tried the same with the slipping Deuce clutch. We have never slipped a clutch with our generously turned up trucks. WE did have a friend that had a truck that got a lot of oil into the clutch housing due to a bad rear seal, and the clutch would slip under power.
Regards Marti

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The trick disk/PP may have taken care of the slip, did NOT fix the cause, if a juiced motor caused the slip, then a whole lot of turned up motors would be slipping, the cause WILL show up, hopefully not with breakage

dmetalmiki

cause and effect

have to agree with 73819..There IS a CAUSE. Stressing everything up is "masking" the (orriginal) problem.
As previously stated there ARE many many other heavy applications deuces are used for. With old worn whatever, but no problem clutches. I ran my deuce 300 miles towing and loaded 12 tons!! no problem last month. AND as an aside it outpulled AND outperformed a tubro cummins unit with regular load. (so much for the "ineficient" multyfuel!!).

I would look at the splines and or Gearbox unit. Something is MOVING and pushing? that clutch unit plate apart. Must be, as when you tightend everything up you now have NO RELEASE!?.

When you solve this very interesting (and difficult) problem..will you inform us all of the (actual) cause, and the eventual cure. If I had anothet geabox I WOULD put that in as start. Check relevent end floats as well. Good luck and succsess.

dmetalmiki

On reflection.

Unlikely the gearbox. ((UNLESS a "burred shaft" overmuch endfload???) Is it possible for you to take this truck on a long private road? and, with ALL clutch operating items disconnected AND checking absalute thrust release bearing clearences...see if you get "top gears slip" (carefull not impossible!) clutchless shiftings.

.....We are the Kiddies...we have the techno....we cant be beat!...............?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks