• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a difference between M1009 axles and the civies?

kassim503

Unless you wanna deal with the extra expense with purchasing 15" 8 lug wheels, Id upgrade to the 14 bolt rear and do a 8 lug conversion on the front and go with the nice 16" rim to start with. The front will stick around unless you get air in yours or crawl hardcore rocks, the rear, you know the story:D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Thanks Guys. Im putting 35'' Boggers on it with the 6'' lift. I guess when I blow the axles, I'll go back with a corperate 14 and a Dana 60.
If you are adding 35" boggers, save your money and upgrade now.aua

Here is an ebay auction selling the hubs and rotors you would need to convert the front to 8-lug 3/4-ton: CHEVY DANA 44 3/4 TON WHEEL HUB 8 LUG ALSO JEEP USED : eBay Motors (item 360245062155 end time May-18-10 09:25:56 PDT) I know they are saying Dana 44, but looking at the model years they have listed, and knowing Chevrolet went to the corporate design in mid-1977, I think these would be the corp-design 10-bolt application.
Florida Powertrain and Hydraulics has great prices on the spindles and any other spicer products you would need. That would get you started...

Last edited:

simoncrk

Thanks Guys for all the help. We dont get real rough with it. Just drivin round huntin hogs and a few cold ones on the farm. I think I'll see how long the original axles last then upgrade after they puke. Everybody says Dana 44's but what about the 60? My tires are 16'' so I won't have up grade again. Tire wise anyway.

kassim503

60's are as good as it gets when it comes to light duty steer axles, but unless you luck out and find one cheap at a PAP or a donor car, the price amounts to a small fortune. I prefer the 10 bolt over the 44 just because of the 3" tube size instead of the 2.75" tubes on the 44. Your front axle will be fine with 35's as is as long as you dont abuse it.

If your thinking about the rear axle, just get any full floater and jam it under. Im a strong beliver in the 14bFF, cheap and plentiful, also many of the srw optioned trucks come with some form of locker in the back. But your existing rear axle would also stick around as long as you dont get any wheel hop or squeeze the tires over rocks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks