• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is there a difference in tire flaps?

Darwin T

after reading several threads i have not got a yes or no answer, just probably, should or should not. tire flaps, are they the same for the same rim or are they different of each tire? on regular deuce rims are they the same for 9.00x20, 11.00x20, 14.00x20 and 395's? i am trying to come up with a plan to change the tires on my M105a3 trailer and want to get all the parts before i start the project.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flaps for 9.00, 10.00 commercial , and 11.00's are the same. I buy these from a truck tire dealer here in houston. And have used them in both my M35 and M52's tires with no problems. The 14.00's are wider and will not work. I have hever dealt with 395's so i can't help you with that one.

Darwin T

thanks for the help. i think i bought some extra 9.00x20 flaps last year just in case. i have to dig through all the spare parts in boxes to see. my thought was tubes are somewhat standard for tires, if i ever had tire trouble on any of my 3 deuces. but the flaps might come in handy.

GTO Tiger

nk14zp, a fellow ham!

N8KPV here.

I thought that might be the case. Do the flaps encase most of the outer part of the tube? I thinking they would protect the tube from all contact with the steel wheel. Is that correct?

Jimma

The flap size is based on the rim size, not the tire. I recently changed from 9x20's to 395's. You dont need bigger flaps, they are the correct size for the rim. I just cleaned them to remove any debris and yucky stuff and reused them because there was nothing wrong with them. However, if you go to a bigger tire you need to go to a larger tube.

jasonjc

The flaps are use to protect the tube from the rim and being pinched. They are verey important. I found out the hard way that a bad/worn out flap will mess up a brand new tube fast. I had to re replace a tube because of a bad flap pinched the tube and tore a hole in the tube right around the vale stem.auaaua

Barrman

I thought this thread was about mud flaps too. There are 3 different M35 mud flap structures by the way. Hinged at the bottom on the old Gassers. Normal and then the cut out sides on the drop side bed trucks.

I will second the deal about tube flaps being very important. Smearing them with tire lube will also make the can go on and come off years later real easy.

GTO Tiger

I thought this thread was about mud flaps too. There are 3 different M35 mud flap structures by the way. Hinged at the bottom on the old Gassers. Normal and then the cut out sides on the drop side bed trucks.

I will second the deal about tube flaps being very important. Smearing them with tire lube will also make the can go on and come off years later real easy.
OK, humor me here. What's the "can"? I assume you are talking about the steel wheel / rim?

What do you use for tire lube?

Barrman

When these two piece rims are put together. The tire sits around everything except the front lock ring. I have always heard that called the can and call it that myself.

Coats makes tire lube in 5 pound buckets. Great stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks