• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there supposed to be something in this hole ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, and I think that is covered in the -10TM. Have you read all the M35 TMs?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that should be fine for a while, check the differential level and avoid deep water. until it's repaired. Plan to change the axle seals when you do the boots.

Jones

Are you talking about the oily hole with no plug in it?
That stays open to act as a vent/drain for the clutch/pressure plate area. If you're planning on fording any deep water then you take the plug out of the threaded, blind hole next over and screw it into the drain/vent hole to keep your clutch dry. After fording, remember to move the plug back to it's original storage location.

brianp454

My truck has the same leakage and I've also found it on every other truck I checked. I've also observed that they seem to leak where the zipper is. Some of the surplus places sell a one-piece boot that requires you to take most of the front end apart. I don’t do any fording unless it is truly necessary. Why get a bunch of muck in all of my seals and increase maintenance costs (by playing around with fording or deep mud )? Someday I’d like to tear it all apart and replace all the seals, yet think it can wait. I say this in part because the grease I have coming out is very clean. If the grease leaking out appeared to be contaminated I would have a different take on it.

I've been meaning to check all of my vents to make sure they are opened up, but haven't gotten around to it...

While I got your attention, if I keep this greased, is it okay to run with this until I can get some new boots ?