• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a bad Power Steering Pump?

tgejesse

When I got my new (to me) M1165,

I was able to get the non-runner…. Running… by adding batteries and a start box. Pleasant surprise.

The not so pleasant surprise was the steering. There were some pretty awful high pitch noises and felt like the PS was completely dead.
After bleeding the system multiple times, the power steering finally engaged but now has a pretty aweful sound when steering and breaking.

Here’s a video of the sound. Maybe someone who has had issues with their PS might recognize the noise.
Love to hear what you think!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere that you need to get the front wheels off of the ground and turn it stop to stop 30 or40 times. It was a ridiculous amount of times. My M1165 was empty on the resevore and I filled it up and I had the same issue and it was starting to get better and then I realized that I had a leak. I haven’t messed with it since. I’m saving up for a generator and I will fix it all at the same time. I did just replace the steering gear on my H2 and it took forever to get the air out and my brake pedal was not right either. I think you just need to bleed the air out and it will be fine

tgejesse

I read somewhere that you need to get the front wheels off of the ground and turn it stop to stop 30 or40 times. It was a ridiculous amount of times. My M1165 was empty on the resevore and I filled it up and I had the same issue and it was starting to get better and then I realized that I had a leak. I haven’t messed with it since. I’m saving up for a generator and I will fix it all at the same time. I did just replace the steering gear on my H2 and it took forever to get the air out and my brake pedal was not right either. I think you just need to bleed the air out and it will be fine
I turned the steering wheel close to 200 times both lifted and then on the ground.
If there is still air in the system it’s probably a leak like you said.
Was your leak a damaged line? Loose fitting?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I turned the steering wheel close to 200 times both lifted and then on the ground.
If there is still air in the system it’s probably a leak like you said.
Was your leak a damaged line? Loose fitting?
I believe it’s leaking from underneath the reservoir probably a rubber hose. When I pull that 400amp generator off I can see what’s really going on. When I did the injection pump I did notice that the bundle of hoses wrapped together with a silver tape was wet.

royg

I believe it’s leaking from underneath the reservoir probably a rubber hose. When I pull that 400amp generator off I can see what’s really going on. When I did the injection pump I did notice that the bundle of hoses wrapped together with a silver tape was wet.
You're on the right track here. Solve all your leaks first before you trust your efforts are bleeding the air out. If fluid can escape air can enter. I had similar noise on one of my trucks and in the end it was a leaking connection very well hidden on the back of the pump under the alternator bracket. It was alot of work to get to/clean up/replace the hose but it solved my problem without much cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks