• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a C-47 or DC-3?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Shame the Pratt & Whitney radial are gone. I run and keep up on a pair of R2800 'Double Wasp' engines at work. Awesome engines for their time!
Where the heck do you work?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was delivered as 42-68745 on April 10th, 1943 to the USAAF. It was registered NC49543 and was named "Mainliner New Jersey" while operating with United Airlines from 1945. It was actually bought by United in 1949 and renamed "Mainliner Youngstown". In 1955 it went to IBM Corporation and was reregistered as N705M. At some time it went to Freeport Sulfur Co. and again changed the identity, this time to N400S. In 1965 it was bought by Pan Air Corporation in New Orleans,LA and was issued its present tailnumber N4003 two years later. It was cancelled from the U.S. Register in 1976

Jeese................took me 4 min to find that one!!!!! Gotta know where to look;-)

So is it a DC-3 or C-47?

airmech3839

Tail numbers do not have to be 6 characters long....we have several customers with 3 to 4 characters and have seen some funky combos...... just FYI. "N" at the begining denotes american registered!!

croftonaviation

Shame the Pratt & Whitney radial are gone. I run and keep up on a pair of R2800 'Double Wasp' engines at work. Awesome engines for their time!
I miss the radials all time. I flew freight in a 1830 powered DC-3 until 2006. Their is nothing that beats the looks you get when you pull onto a ramp. Although they do seem to break at the worst time (night, IFR, overloaded). But it is a testament to their design how long one will run with a failed rear main bearing and no oil pressure to get you on the ground.

tractor

We have a C47 we are going to start flying to air shows soon here in Ca still in jump configuration. Our bird has seen military service with at least 4 countries

AIE1

DC3, 1994 belonged to the NC Forestery Dept, we jumped this A/C at a D-Day Com, jump at Redding PA. My last blast, landed on taxi way and and dragged across on my back before I could get hold of chute. 11th SFGA.

Attachments

blackwater1

Hi all --- I fly the DC-3 / C-47. We have six flyable in my county. Here is a little info that may help next time. C-47 had fabric covered elevator , ailerons and rudder -- but may have been replaced with metal at some point. Ours are still fabric. The military data plate is mounted inside on the rear bulkhead. Most of the DC-3 were C-47's.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I watched this plane take off. These old DC-3s fascinate me almost as much as the B17s. They sure sound sweet. We were 250' from it when they started it. Sorry for the crappy pic, was with my cell phone. I thought is was a DC-3 until I saw the door on it. Was a double door with a ladder in the fwd door. I'm thinking C-47. The number was N300MF for those who can look this stuff up. I'm guessing it was destined for the Bahamas. I have to get a ride on one of these.

Google turned this up.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N300MF

Attachments

Last edited:

ida34

Kenny,
The registration is below. It could be wrong but it has it as a DC-3. I had a flight on one a few years ago. I will try to post some video. It was a blast and pretty cheap compared to other warbird flights.

Serial Number 15676/27121 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name DOUGLAS Certificate Issue Date 11/20/1981

Model DC3C-R-1830-90C Status Valid

Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating

Pending Number Change None Dealer No

Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 50620153

MFR Year 1945 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner
Name MISSIONARY FLIGHTS & SVCS INC DBA
Street 3170 AIRMANS DR

City FORT PIERCE State FLORIDA

County ST LUCIE Zip Code 34946-9131

Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer P & W Classification Standard Engine Model R-1830 SERIES Category Transport
A/W Date 06/15/1982

boomer

O.K. (JDS)- It's the same plane! The Airlines classafied it a DC-3, The Army, a C-47, and the Navy was another- which escapes me at this time! Hey, my brain is full.
Now we can all rest easy.

Flyingvan911

Early in WW II many commercial airlines' DC-3's were comendered for military use. It would be interesting to know how many of those originals made it through the war.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These old DC-3s fascinate me almost as much as the B17s. They sure sound sweet.
If you can get back issues, find the magazine that the Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum puts out. There is an issue about....8-10 years old with a fascinating article about how DC-3 and C-47 models have found a profitable retirement as parts delivery platforms. Like everything NA&S does, the article and magazine are top notch.

The issue also has a wonderful article on the UH-1, including the incredible story of Michael Novosel, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in a Huey. Google him.

If you can't find the NA&S article, I will see if I still have it.

50shooter

For all you DC-3 / C-47 fans, Rockfalls IL at the Whitside County (SQI) airport 7/23 -7/26/10 there will be the largest gathering of these planes in recent history, some say since WWII. They will be on display and flying through the weekend and then assembling for a 40+ bird fly over in formation on 7/26/10 prior to some of them heading to EAA in Oshkosh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks