• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a legit dealer? "Smith Consulting Group"

cye604

Hey all, I have been trying to get into armor collecting for a while now, specifically APCs. Of course, the king of APCs would be the M113, but I have heard rumors you cannot own one in America. I haven't even been able to find anyone selling them, except for one company called "Smith Consulting Group," who claim to have ~500 M113s in stock. Anyone know is this is a scam site or if I am missing something here? The website shows no evidence of update since 2010, but it is still running just fine, which leaves me confused.

Link: http://www.smithconsultinggroup.net/inventory/M113/inventory_M113.php

RedBlok

Hey all, I have been trying to get into armor collecting for a while now, specifically APCs. Of course, the king of APCs would be the M113, but I have heard rumors you cannot own one in America. I haven't even been able to find anyone selling them, except for one company called "Smith Consulting Group," who claim to have ~500 M113s in stock. Anyone know is this is a scam site or if I am missing something here? The website shows no evidence of update since 2010, but it is still running just fine, which leaves me confused.

Link: http://www.smithconsultinggroup.net/inventory/M113/inventory_M113.php[/QUOTE

I just went to the site- I would say you probably need to call him and do an in person visit of whatever he tries to sell . His site is outdated and he has multiple interests

I would approach with caution and see how it turns out. Keep us posted. I could see a 113 sitting in my front yard.

I also sent their managing partner an email seeing if they are still in the armor business and what their inventory is. I could see a M113 sitting next to my M923a2.

Last edited:

vettes

They are a legit dealer, and all of those m113s are Canadian surplus. They are under contract to sell them for the Canadians. You as an individual cannot buy one, they can only be sold to a US agreed to country. Being a Canadian, and partly paid for them, I was pissed to say the least I could not buy one.

jdmcm

US citizens CAN absolutely import US armor, any armor built before 1956 can be imported into the USA with ATF form 6, no State or Commerce Department authorization required. Anything built after 1956 requires State Department approval but also can absolutely be done. Don't let the uniformed ruin your plans, become familiar with the laws and requirements, hire a reputable ATF and State dept. registered importer and follow your dreams.

cye604

Anything built after 1956 requires State Department approval but also can absolutely be done.
How likely is it that this qualifies for State Dept. approval though?

Also, if SCG only sells to countries, I am guessing I can't buy from them anyway.

jdmcm

Smith will not answer your email, that site is years old, those M113's are long gone, the ones that were not sold to other NATO countries were trucked to Victoria BC and literally shredded.

Juskatla

I regularly visit the yard that had that contract. They were scrapping various versions of the M113 and I had tried to get some wiring harness, lights, switches and data plates but the owner was very clear about the terms of the contract. Nothing was to be sold. All was cut up, destroyed and made useless. Before they ended up at the scrap yard, they were cannibalized by the DND for useful spares and even my contacts there yielded nothing. It was sad to see but the reality of ITAR. Heaven forbid that a light switch or harness should fall into the hands of an foreign power or a military vehicle enthusiast. I regret not having taken pics when this was going on but they are long gone now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks