• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this bearing OK to use?

SGT Estum

So I've got a buddy over helping me replace a rear main seal. We noticed this bearing has a bit of a discoloration on it - what do you think? OK to use?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it got a little too hot but probably okay. Since it's torn down that far, might as well replace them.

Billy Bobbed

If your not in the brass,not burnt or peeling it should be fine.And if it has a good wear pattern.How does the main on the crank look.

Edit The side were your thumb is,is that pitting or something else.

Last edited:

SGT Estum

Looks like it got a little too hot but probably okay. Since it's torn down that far, might as well replace them.
I would go that route, but I've only got my buddy here to help through the morning and the parts store is already closed for the night. Plus I don't think I can change the whole bearing without pulling out the crankshaft... which is a little bit more than I was hoping to do.

So... I'm more looking for an opinion on if it's "reasonable wear" and not a huge red flag or if it is.

Billy Bobbed

I would go that route, but I've only got my buddy here to help through the morning and the parts store is already closed for the night. Plus I don't think I can change the whole bearing without pulling out the crankshaft... which is a little bit more than I was hoping to do.

So... I'm more looking for an opinion on if it's "reasonable wear" and not a huge red flag or if it is.
You dont have to take the crank out to change brgs,you just roll a new brg in the block.Just push it out with something that wont scratch the crank.

SGT Estum

If your not in the brass,not burnt or peeling it should be fine.And if it has a good wear pattern.How does the main on the crank look.

Edit The side were your thumb is,is that pitting or something else.
The crank looks perfect.

The side where the thumb is -- that's a very little bit rough to the touch in a couple spots but not too bad.

Billy Bobbed

The crank looks perfect.

The side where the thumb is -- that's a very little bit rough to the touch in a couple spots but not too bad.
I regrind crankshafts and sell brgs for 27 years, if that brg is starting to pit you need to replace it and check the rest.It might save you in the long run.a pitted brg is not good.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BB is more of an expert (which I am not) than I, might want to take his advice.

Billy Bobbed

I found some brg failure pictures. We have one at the shop that shows more in detail than this but close.The brgs. you have my last for a long time if you put it back together but I would roll a new set in sense you got it torn down its your truck.

AOL Search

Last edited:

SGT Estum

BB - I'm with you on that idea. Since it's torn apart already, I would have liked to have put in new bearings but I only had help through this morning AND the parts store was closed.... so I put that one back in.

I hope (knock on wood) it'll be fine for another 100k :) We made sure to put a nice film of oil on the bearing when we reassembled it so it wouldn't rub raw against the crankshaft while oil pressure came up.

And the best part: so far I have seen no oil leaking! If there's a small/slow leak it could take a couple days to show up, though. I'm just glad that there were no gushers when I started it up, considering that I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks to all for the advice!