• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this even legal??????

wyomingjeep

I am looking to get a M35a2 from GL and i would most likely get it in Georgia and drive it back to Cheyenne. I read on there site that they would give me a SF-97s that are annotated "NOT FOR ROAD USE." I can get insurance on the deuce but will i be legal to drive threw all the states back home to Wyoming legally?? I am active duty with deuce still on my Gov license so i could drive back in uniform (just joking i do not need to go to jail). Any info would be great.

and yes i am new

spicergear

Certain states allow a new purchase a short grace period to be gotten/driven home. PA is not one of them...ahem. Having proof of purchase and bonafide insurance coverage should get you past all but the prickiest of local law enforcement you may come across. Likelyhood of being pulled over for a credential check is still very little. Maybe find out what your state law is about vehicle purchases and getting them home so you can inform anyone about what's what from your state in an educated fashion. I doubt if someone will put you on the hook for it-

FormerNewMVGuy

If the SF-97 is annotated" Not for road use", is the truck not a whole truck? Is it being sold as scrap? I dont think you will be able to get plates for it ,if its for off road only!

houdel

Get proof of insurance, get a temporary plate/permit or whatever, put on our BDU's and drive home. The chances of getting pulled over in a MV are pretty slim IF you are driving legally and responsibly. If anyone will get pulled over it would be someone in Civvies driving a MV. Driven by someone in uniform? Very unlikely to happen, and if you are you are legal anyhow.

wyomingjeep

I just red the portion where is said Licensing and Titling. THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS PERTAIN TO BOTH USEABLE SURPLUS AND SCRAP MATERIAL SALES. Unless property is being sold with a requirement for demilitarization or other destructive scrapping, title will transfer to you upon removal of the entire lot from the military installation]. Okay so maybe if i read a little better then i can answer my own questions and not waste ya'lls time sorry. :oops:

Dieselsmoke

My question....why not get one out of Ft. Carson? Whole lot closerstraight up I25...or there is a surplus guy in Cheyenne that used to have plenty of trucks :?

wyomingjeep

I have not seen any trucks in Cheyenne in 2001 they used to sell them in Fort Collins co. but i knew i was going to get stationed in england so there was no point in picking up one then. There is a 5ton in Fort Carson and thats all i have seen right now. I want one in GA because it says it runs my worst fear is that a GL guy will hand me my paperwork and tell me to get it off the lot in 10 min because he wants to close early and the motor be blown. I have never done this before and its a little scary.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to SS, Wyoming.

You should really, really get someone to preview a truck for you before bidding. GL's descriptions are well known to be……of questionable accuracy.

There are lots of guys in Atlanta, perhaps someone can check it out for you.

JRBAMATEX

Ummm.. Wyoming, please read this?

I found my deuce in Atlanta at Ft. Gillem. I looked at the vehicle condition code given to the trucks by the govt. and then I called the site manager and asked him what he thought about the few that I had picked out. It turns out that he felt that the one I was most interested in was the one he would pick also. I didn't tell him which one I liked best. Just asked him which one he would pick if he had to drive it to Ft. Worth Texas from Atlanta. Once he caught his breath and got up off the floor he said that all the trucks at his site DID run. Also that the one I was eyeing had new tires on it and he didn't see any leaks on the ground under it. So I read the GL rules and took a deep breath and put in my bid. Once I won I started the EUC process. It was kind of an annoying process. Something between dealing with a govt worker and an ISP customer service representative in India. I think that I might still be waiting if I hadn't been persistent with them. NICE!!! but persistent. I didn't feel that they had their act together very well so I tried to help them by calling them two or three times a week. I did wait for sometime before I called the first time. My EUC status just wouldn't change no matter how hard I waited. I was waiting.... and it was hard. Finally I just started calling and things started happening. They acted like "oh this is all normal" but you know how you can tell when the squeaky wheel is getting the grease. Whatever.... So I finally got the clearance and made arrangements to go pick it up. The morning I was leaving I got a message from the site manager that he was not going to be able to meet me when he said he would and asked if I could come another day. I had to be cool. It was hard. But I did it. I told him that this was the only time I could make it and he needed to make some kind of arrangements for me. He did and I drove over from Texas. This is where it gets good. We got to the base over there and they had a guy come over and jump start my truck. It started right up and the guy said "It's all over but the crying now!" we laughed waited for it to warm up and then took off to the diesel shop for a PM and a general check up before making the 800 mile run back to Texas. It ran great over to the shop.... The guys looked it over real quick and said I see some places where we need to replace some seals but other than that it looks good. I said great. Fix me up and when I get back from lunch I'll take it and go. When I got back from lunch they told me that one of the places where they had thought was going to just be an input shaft seal was really a big old hole in my transfer case. I looked at it and guess what? There was a big old hole in my transfer case. I didn't have all the phone numbers with me of places where I could get replacement parts. So you can imagine the attempted hose job that ensued. Oh and by the way. Hurricane Rita was on her way to Texas. So we waited all week long for a new case cover to come. They wanted $700 for the cover! First one came and it was cracked. No good. Wait another day. Next day one came but it was the wrong one. Wouldn't fit. Wait another day. Next day nothing came and the place in Birmingham where all this junk was coming from said if I come and get it they would have it waiting form me at the counter. Now I am from Alabama so I really should have known better but I was desperate and the diesel shop said that if I go and get it and bring it back they would wait for me and put it in that evening. So off I went to B'ham. Got to the place and they didn't even have a case. Yeah..... I was in a great mood now. I called back to the shop in Atlanta and told them that I had to go on back to Texas cause there was a hurricane coming and my Wife and kids were there alone. Told them I would find my own part and have it shipped to them. Then I'd fly back and get the truck by myself because my buddy had already taken a week off with me and couldn't go with me again. I drove home through the hurricane like a hurricane. It was JR against Rita. I did pretty well. I had my wind speed up around 90Mph. Hers had diminished quite a bit. So I got home and found Sarafan in Miami. (Now out of business) He sold me a whole case for $500. Would have sold me the cover for $100. Hmmmm.... He shipped the case to Atlanta and they put it in. I flew over got the truck and drove it home. Well... most of the way home. I know that it is hard to believe but there is a whole other saga associated with the trip home. It's a long story too but it ultimately involved a $150 Taxi ride $250 plane ticket and a $950 flat bed delivery charge.

My truck is awesome now and I am glad to have it. I would not trade my experience now that it is behind me. However, if I knew then what I know now I would have found a truck closer to home. I have driven through Cheyenne from Ft. Worth on my way to SW Montana. I was in a nice new pickup truck. It is a Looooong way and a tiring drive. Atlanta to Cheyenne in an M35 you know nothing about... is suicide.

wyomingjeep

Yeah i think i am gonna let myself get outbid and buy one from a actual person. So much can go wrong in 1,500 miles on a site unseen vehicle. It would of been a adventure though.

papercu

trucks

From the G/L site "Vehicles described as "residue" will be provided SF-97s that are annotated "NOT FOR ROAD USE."

First I don't think you will drive a residue vehicle away but if you do and the SF-97 state that and you do get stopped or have a accident you will spend time in jail plus pay for any damages because no insurance will pay off if your vehicle is not legal for road use.
BUT do not take this or any other statement from here as the truth. You need to check with your state DMV and your insurance company before moving it one foot. Wayne

Blood_of_Tyrants

RE: trucks

As I understand it, a temporary tag issued by one state is good in all states. So if you can get a drive-out temp tag in Georgia, the other states are bound by law to honor it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JRBAMATEX

You are a saint. I am not quite sure I would have held on to my patience quite as well. So much for "driven onto the lot" in the auction descriptions.

You pay for what you get - and sometimes you get, what you paid for.

nhdiesel

I just got back from PA this morning, where my father and I picked up a Deuce and 2 trailers. Upon arrival we checked the fluids and gave the Deuce a quick once-over and other than securing a broken driver's mirror mount with a wire coat hanger and noticing one slightly low tire pressure, all looked fine. We loaded up one trailer and hooked up to the other (see pic) and headed out for the 500 mile drive around 11am.

I got as far as Carlisle and noticed the temp. gauge started rising slowly. I pulled off the next exit and we found that both generator/water pump belts were gone. Fortunately I had downloaded a page from this site showing part numbers for various parts, so we headed to a part's store in my father's pickup. Apparently the interchange from the Napa part number to Advance Auto was a bit off, and the belts were too long. A quick trip back to the store got us 48" belts instead of 49". All they had were lawn/garden belts in that size, but they worked fine and we were back on the road

Somewhere in NJ we pulled over for a 1-hour nap. After the nap I fired the Deuce and let it run to build up air pressure, then shut it down to check the oil again. Just as I was going to open the hood I smelled something and thought it must be leaking a bit of oil. I opened the hood and saw flames on the driver's side! The wiring harness just in front of the firewall had rubbed on the frame long enough to short out. I was able to blow the small fire out and wrapped the wires with electrical tape. Only 1 wire was damaged, for the tail lights. Oh well, just keep the Chevy right behind it until we get home.

The rest of the trip went fine and after all of the stops and traffic we rolled in about 3:30 this morning. I have to say that I would NOT want to drive one of these that far again! The truck ran and drove great except for the noise and shaking from vibes (most likely the old tires). Anyone considering heading out cross country would have to be nuts (nothing personal...just my tired opinion a few hours after getting home). This is coming from someone who loves diesels and old trucks, especially large ones. I'm a country redneck who lives to abuse myself, so please listen to that opinion- I don't post it lightly.

With all that said, it was a fun trip all the same!!!

Jim

oops- almost forgot the pic!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to Steel Soldiers, NH Diesel, that's a heck of a first post! rofl

FormerNewMVGuy

Welcome nhdiesel! I actually passed you on the highway I-78 just inside the NJ border! Nice looking rig you got there!!! I really want one of those trailers for my duece! Good luck with the truck, Its funny ,because when i saw you ,I said to my son ,I'll bet that guy just came from chambersburg, and i wonder if he is on steel soldiers, LOL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding and welcome aboard. 500 miles in a deuce is alot in one day but you'll want to do it again. I love those trips anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks