• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is this going to be a good rig?

I am about to trade my jeep for a 84 k5 diesel dana 70's lockers front and rear 45" tractor tires which I am going to get some regular 42" tires so I can run it on the street, just wondering if these things are tough? How is the 6.2? I have always heard they are junk....is there anything that noramally messes up on them? here are some pics

tsmall07

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a dana 70 font axle, so I imagine you mean dana 60/70. If those are the axles, you'll have to take it kinda easy if you don't get chromoly axle shafts and big joints in the front (especially with a locker). The rear should be fine. What kind of lockers? Its too tall for me, but it all depends on what kind of wheelin you do. Lower with big tires and hacked fenders is better. (unless all you do is mud bogging) The diesel will also be good for wheeling because its an injected system that can run at steep angles . (although at the angles that would choke out a carb, that truck would flop anyway... :lol: )

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
70 fronts exist. In stock for you can tell them by the rear mount tie rod. That does look like a 70. As far as the 6.2, short on power but still a decent low buck diesel.

tsmall07

Re: RE: is this going to be a good rig?

Recovry4x4 said:
70 fronts exist.
Wow. I think the same advice goes re: axle shafts, though. Apparently they still "only" have 35 spline shafts. 46" tire should be right on the limit for that axle.

AJMBLAZER

This question would be better asked over on www.ColoradoK5.com .

Looks like a big mud truck. Not my choice and I bet those axles are on the ragged edge of surviving with those tires. Bet they're a lot heavier than similar sized Swampers.
The Dana 70 front is marginal depending on what it came out of...the newer ones are actually an improvement over a Dana 60 but they're all out of larger trucks like shown above. The older ones actually had smaller components than typical "light duty" Dana 60's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks