• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this HMMWV leagal

zr10054

Here's the kicker guys. After posting the exact thread on another hummer forum I received a pm from a member warning me not to buy this truck. Turns out his email ended in @dodig, dept of defense inspector general. He wanted to know everything that I new about this truck. I respectfully declined. After all it wasn't my truck yet anyway. It looks like they want to reclaim this truck.

Chief_919

Some of you guys need to get a grip. Once and for all, IT DEPENDS UPON THE STATE. A Sheriff's department vehicle is not required to have a title in some states and upon the legitimate sale, can then be issued a title. Ohio, Georgia and Colorado are this way.
No, it does not depend on the state.

The restrictions I am speaking of are Federal, not state. State law can't change them.

sandcobra164

They don't really want to "reclaim" the truck. The IG guys spend hours every day looking for "possible" missing equipment. Since HMMWV's were never meant to be in "public" hands, when they show up, they throw a flag. If it's got a solid paper trail, you'd be happy to own it. Sheriff's office's are obligated to hold on to surplus for a set time period, then they can do whatever with it. Even my local Sheriff's office in a small town has a M1038. For what purpose, I don't know but they got it for free. No armor on it, and it stay's parked next to the public works building. They did give it a blue rattle can paint job on the outside. FWIW, none of my trucks that I've kept have anything more than bill of sales or GL paperwork on them, they are perfectly legal and I've got tags on all of them. I can't wait to get a HMMWV!!!!

Chief_919

They don't really want to "reclaim" the truck. The IG guys spend hours every day looking for "possible" missing equipment. Since HMMWV's were never meant to be in "public" hands, when they show up, they throw a flag. If it's got a solid paper trail, you'd be happy to own it. Sheriff's office's are obligated to hold on to surplus for a set time period, then they can do whatever with it. Even my local Sheriff's office in a small town has a M1038. For what purpose, I don't know but they got it for free. No armor on it, and it stay's parked next to the public works building. They did give it a blue rattle can paint job on the outside. FWIW, none of my trucks that I've kept have anything more than bill of sales or GL paperwork on them, they are perfectly legal and I've got tags on all of them. I can't wait to get a HMMWV!!!!
As I have said, the set time period rule doesn't apply to items requiring DEMIL. They must be returned.

I just called my buddy who used to manage that program for our Sheriffs Office. He said their HMMWV's came with strict instructions that there were not to be sold. They had to be returned, or DEMIL'ed and proof provided.

jwaller

As I have said, the set time period rule doesn't apply to items requiring DEMIL. They must be returned.

I just called my buddy who used to manage that program for our Sheriffs Office. He said their HMMWV's came with strict instructions that there were not to be sold. They had to be returned, or DEMIL'ed and proof provided.
This is exactly how one just got out here in SC, thru the forestry dept. I wouldn't go near that truck, heck it was still painted bright red. there is no way that was a legit sale. I'd hate to be the owner when uncle shows up asking for his truck back.

zr10054

This is exactly how one just got out here in SC, thru the forestry dept. I wouldn't go near that truck, heck it was still painted bright red. there is no way that was a legit sale. I'd hate to be the owner when uncle shows up asking for his truck back.
Maybe the magic word here is DEMIL. This truck in question has no mil equip whatsoever. In fact it is partly disassembled.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the magic word here is DEMIL. This truck in question has no mil equip whatsoever. In fact it is partly disassembled.
It is in plain black and white. HMMWV's, Goats, and M151's require demil. Whether you got it through firefighting or another state agency. These vehicles belong to DoD due to demil requirements and are to be inventoried periodically and turned in/demilled when not needed. They come with SF-97's that the agencies use to get titles for the agency (fire dept etc.) but they still belong to DoD. Just because it may have a title does not mean it doesn't belong to the govt. The only legally released ones were sold sometime around the mid 90's.

Chief_919

Ok guys, here it is right from the horses mouth with the ones going to the fire service.

Ones going to LE will have the same requirement, as it comes from the DOD.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2qow-EP-7LX9mfo-A&sig2=cr2G91i1dBCsjQKQBC1Cdw

r) Identify, track and verify mutilation of Demil B & Q items which require special handling when no longer needed, property will be mutilated and/or returned to a DLA Disposition Services site. The USDA Forest Service must approve the mutilation and will provide guidance to the State Agency with regard to mutilation procedures, etc. Special handling requires one of the following:
1) If in usable/repairable condition the property may be transferred to another firefighting or emergency service entity that is an authorized participant in the FFP program or returned to a DLA Disposition Services Site.
2) When the item is no longer needed for firefighting or emergency services or the item is obsolete or no longer repairable, the property item will be rendered unusable and destroyed beyond use. The property item can only be sold for its value in scrap metal content. Title will be retained at the State level and marked “invalid” when the item has been disposed of as scrap metal. Title will be attached to the acquisition document and retained for 6 years 3 months after final disposal.
3) The State may opt to not receive title for Demilitarization B and Sensitive Q items. Instead, the State will agree to return the property to the nearest DLA Disposition Services site equipped to receive the item when the item is no longer needed, serviceable, or usable. State will not be charged for return/turn-in processing of asset but is responsible for transportation of asset to DLA Disposition Services site.

a) Acquisition of Demilitarization C, D, and F and Sensitive B and Q items (which require special handling) requires that you add the following certification on your Shipping Document or attach to the Shipping Document ensuring knowledge of the unique requirements associated with this type of equipment. See Enclosure 3 for Demil Statement and Enclosure 4 for Demil Statement for Gamma Goats and HMMWVs.
“This item requires demilitarization and is a State controlled inventory item. Disposition instructions will be provided by the USDA Forest Service according to DoD and/or FMR direction. The cooperator agrees to the following:
1) This item will be inventoried biennially.
2) Location of property and condition will be reported and kept accurate in FEPMIS.
3) A State property number will be used to identify the item.
4) The cooperator will maintain 100% accountability of this item until final disposition.
5) Under no circumstances will property (usable or scrap) be sold or otherwise transferred to non-U.S. persons or exported.
As the representative of a firefighting agency, I ______________________________ agree to accept responsibility for the ___________________________ Fire Department.”
b) In addition to the above statement, acquisition of the Gamma Goat (M-561 and M-592) and HUMMWV (M998 and M1098) requires that you add the following certification on your Shipping Document or attach to the Shipping Document and have the Recipient sign and date ensuring knowledge of the driving hazard associated with this type of equipment:
“Since this vehicle does not comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and is designed for use under conditions unique to the Department of Defense, extra competence and caution should be exercised in the operation and use of this vehicle outside the design specifications. In accepting the transfer, the State Agency warrants that it will provide necessary operator training and hold the DoD harmless against all third parties in liability suits involving the operation of Gamma Goats or HMMWVs in its custody. Our authorization to use these vehicles is granted mainly for transporting water and/or supplies in difficult off-road terrain only.
As the representative of a firefighting agency, I ______________________________ agree to accept responsibility for the ___________________________ Fire Department.”
c) Approval for transfer and/or disposal of Demil/sensitive items will be approved by the USDA Forest Service PMO.
d) For Demil C, D, and F required property and Sensitive B and Q property items will have the following statement appear on the issue document (DD1348-1a):
“This item is Demil required and will be returned to the nearest DLA Disposition Services site when no longer required by the DoD Fire Fighter Program.”
e) The FFP customers will not be charged financially by Distribution Services for the receipt of the returned Demil required items; however, the state agency is responsible for the transportation costs associated with the return.

papaydsailor

what the Chief said is true. the only legal humvees ones that the public can own are the one that got auctioned of by the usmc during the 90s before the DOD classified the humvees to be demiled item. and they are getting more expensive whenever somebody decide to resell them.
below are the pics that were returned by the sheriff and forest service dept back to DLA were i have worked at for my mil reserve that are due for demil or cutting.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the puppies had to do was hold it two years and sell, in the meantime my RR museum could have used it for a shop switcher, now the locomotive would be worth 30 or 40K$.... So set up a non-profit museum and you too can join the game.....
I know of a local mayor that almost did a very long time in jail for doing this. He was getting all the surplus he could get his hands on for the town. He would keep it for two years and then auction it off. He was making the town a fortune (and may have been padding his own pocket) but the feds frowned on this practice. He was acquiring surplus property for the sole purpose of holding it for two years and then selling it. I know a bunch of people that bought these items at auction had to return them. I'm unsure if they got any money back or not. He never did any jail time but I don't see how he got out of it.

tanhmmwv

"the only legal humvees ones that the public can own are the one that got auctioned of by the usmc during the 90s before the DOD classified the humvees to be demiled item"

TRUE - but also, if you rebuild them from parts/canibalized trucks (done 3 of them so far)

zr10054

"the only legal humvees ones that the public can own are the one that got auctioned of by the usmc during the 90s before the DOD classified the humvees to be demiled item"

TRUE - but also, if you rebuild them from parts/canibalized trucks (done 3 of them so far)

Would you please PM me more info about this procedure.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just find a Hummer H1 and rattle can it into 383 green? It was built on the same line as the real one for the military.

B3.3T

No, it does not depend on the state.

The restrictions I am speaking of are Federal, not state. State law can't change them.
No, it does not. The 25 year vintage exemption has come into play. It is totally up to the state. Title requirements vary but have nothing to do with Federal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks