• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this military???? 2.5kw

ODdave

So this weekend i saved this lil guy from demise, in a scrap pile headed to the shreader at a local yard. It shure looks to be a mil-spec unit, it has OD paint, a Fairbanks-Morse magneto w/ a shielded plug, Wisconson single cyl. 3 twist lock plugs and 2 three pin 115v. says it is rated for 2.5kw. any info would be apreciated, there is also a similar unit on a cart w/ wheels (looks to be military) but with 12v dc outputs. should i get it? I also included a pic of an old Briggs&Stratton i saved 2 weeks ago, mabye someone would have an idea of a date on it as well. Thanks.

Oh yea, i forgot to add, after cleaning the carb she runs like a champ!!!

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First one...check data plate. Looks familier, can't remember where I've seen it though. Second one looks old enough that if it'll crank, keep it, if for nothing else it's nostagic value.

vrumor2004

is this military?

It looks an awful lot like the the signal corp generator my father has. try running the numbers on the data plate through goggle.

LanceRobson

I'm not sure but from the pic it looks like a AEH 6HP or similar. With the color etc I do believe it's GI. The civvy ones tended to have a hand crank for starting so the front end of the crankshaft had a cylindrical shape with a pair of pins sticking out to engage the crank. I don't know if Uncle Sam didn't like the risk of injury from the cranks or didn't like the thought of loosing them but the rope start was typical of GI apps.

It is hard for me to be sure from the size of the pics but it looks to have a GI style waterproof plug wire. The period civvy wire would almost certainly have been a fabric wrapped rubber insulated one.

The 12 volt set make sense for the older MVs....

Good saves!

Lance

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try posting pictures that are a clear 600 x 800 pixels, what you posted was 187 x 280 pixels, which is way to small to make any where close to a positive identification.

simpleserf

First time post on SS... a longtime lurker and Smokstak Member though. New to me MEP caused me to join... Picking it up north of Lansing, actually.

The Briggs appears to be some type of 2" bore Briggs- based on the Model WM, perhaps an "N", "5" or "6". The fuel tank is an early style tank (later units were "bullet shaped"), but the air cleaner is a later style (maybe mid to late 50's). I would guess 40's.

Most Wis-con engines I have seen have the rope start, with the exception being 2 and 4 cylinder units, those are either wheel start on balers, or crank (fist crank accident I had was on a Wisconsin TF...) Same rough date on the Wisconsin. Which Carb is on it?

Are there any numbers on the engines?

ODdave

I will try to get more & better pics. I was just sitting here and remebered the thread. I have been having trouble uploading them to ss though.

If your going to be around lansing, get in touch. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks