• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this normal.

2002ford

The first picture has three yellows and a green horizontaly. I pulled the green one in the second pick. Thats where the damage is. not the best picture either. I just unhooked it and there is a thick red wire going into the back on the left side as your looking at it but there is no wireon the right?

K9Vic

Have you installed any aftermarket headlights, like H4 composite w/ glass housings?

You HAVE to use a relay harness with the H4 headlights or that exact thing will happen to your fuse block.

2002ford

I checked the switch several times. I lost every light and the horn. I am still looking for the other wire that should attach to the back unless I am wrong. It should have power come in on one side, cross the fuse and leave on the other side. Am I mistaken?

WARWAG

Just to make sure. You have a light switch (which is completely diffrent than the black out switches). Then you have the BLACK OUT switches. The Blackout switches will turn off every light including brake lights, turn signals and I believe the horn switch. 70% of communication is visual so if I seem to be asking a stupid question its because Im not 100% sure you understand what I am talking about. Im not trying to funny or anything like that. More than one person didnt understand what the BLACKOUT switches do or even if they were on or off. If your not sure check and see if your turn signals work. If not then its most likely your blackout switch (80%).

Last edited:

WARWAG

I checked the switch several times. I lost every light and the horn. I am still looking for the other wire that should attach to the back unless I am wrong. It should have power come in on one side, cross the fuse and leave on the other side. Am I mistaken?
Yes that is how a fuse block works. The pictures you provided are pretty blurry so I cant make out any details.

GreenBull

If you pull the fuses and inspect you will likely find dirt and corrosion on the fuse and fuse box terminals. What happens is the fuse connections become resistive and turn into miniature heating elements. This causes the fuse box terminals to deform and become loose and the heat melts the plastic.

Repeatedly soak that fuse block in WD40 or some other penetrating oil for a week, remove all of the fuses and clean the fuse block with electrical contact or brake cleaner. Blow it out with compressed air. Use a pick to reform the fuse block terminals to tighten them and replace the fuses with new clean ones.

This procedure will cure a high percentage of the electrical gremlins in CUCVs.

2002ford

I understand the switch operation. I spent 14 years driving these things, I just never messed with electrical system. LOl. I know what your saying, we had a hummer towed in do to not starting. They had forgot to put it in neutral.

ranchhopper

I take some emery cloth and work it in and out of the fuse contacts then use a small needle nose pliers and gently squeeze the contacts back together it has worked for every CUCV I have owned.

2002ford

All right, I took a thin file to the connectors. A small piece broke off but the fuse fits better and all of the lights are working.:beer: Now I hope it holds together. Lol. I also cleaned the grounds at the core support. Thanks everyone.

GreggVA

If you pull the fuses and inspect you will likely find dirt and corrosion on the fuse and fuse box terminals. What happens is the fuse connections become resistive and turn into miniature heating elements. This causes the fuse box terminals to deform and become loose and the heat melts the plastic.

Repeatedly soak that fuse block in WD40 or some other penetrating oil for a week, remove all of the fuses and clean the fuse block with electrical contact or brake cleaner. Blow it out with compressed air. Use a pick to reform the fuse block terminals to tighten them and replace the fuses with new clean ones.

This procedure will cure a high percentage of the electrical gremlins in CUCVs.
This is done with batteries disconnected - correct?

misupratwin

You could check and see if napa carrys that terminal (i know they carry weather pack terminals )(gm) most terminals have a little tab that you have to depress then you could remove the wire, install a new terminal,Then reinstall. If the block is to badly melted cut the wire,install new terminal, Then move that circuit to another unsed spot in the box.