• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this radiator salvageable?

Katahdin

Well, I set out today to flush and remove the radiator so I could refab a new shroud that runs along the bottom of it. Bad news is I didn't expect the radiator bolts to shear off and well, the the bottom radiator frame doesn't look all that great either. Is this radiator toast or is it worth trying to refab the frame and bolts?

I have the metal cutting tools, but only had a Mig welder for a week...I wasn't planning of refabing anything of this complexity for awhile. I'm afraid I'd ruin it for sure. Do radiator shops do this work?

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is getting harder and harder to find an old school radiator repair shop that will repair rather than try to sell you a new or rebuilt radiator. Considering the cost of a new or remanufactured one I would hunt for one.

Some NOS radiators sold off GL a while back....I don't know if anybody here got any....you might post an add in the wanted section.

5ton4ever

If the core is good them I would repair it myself. I wouldn't pay a radiator shop to try to fab the new bottom mount. Maybe a sheel metal fab shop could make the lower mount that is corroded. I repaired one in a 66 deuce that had the bolts corroded off just like yours. wasn't real pretty, but who sees it? It also depends on how much money one wants to spend. Good luck.:beer:

Katahdin

Thank you gentlemen. I'm exploring replacement options but still hope to fab a fix for it eventually. I believe the core is good, my time and fab skills just aren't where I need them to be yet.

That said we do have an old radiator shop in town, I'll bring it by on Monday for a look see anyway, it'll probably be a good conversation piece. :wink:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... I believe the core is good, my time and fab skills just aren't where I need them to be yet.
This seems like a "right sized" project to build your skills. It's thick metal, low tolerance work that will save you money if you chose to DIY (and the core checks out).

Rick

tm america

You could go to a place that sells metal and does fab work to have them fab the pieces so all you have to do is cut the thinck piece and weld the new to it..For the cost of a new one it's well worth trying.. If you aren't happy you end up getting a new one if it works you save like 700 bucks:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks