• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this supposed to be blocked off?

Lonesome715

My air cleaner housing has been sitting in the back of the deuce for a while in pieces. As I was cleaning it so I could re-install it I noticed this fitting was clogged. I figured the dirt dobbers did it because they have been wreaking havoc on this truck. When I tried to clear it out I found the blockage was metallic. I am assuming this in the fitting that connects to the line that runs to my air filter indicator on the dash. How does it work if it is blocked like this?

Attachments

DieselBob

Well that is the fitting for the restriction line. Looks like someone didn't remove a broken piece of an old line. Not sure how they managed that seeing as the line should have been a flair fitting. Depending how completely that blocked the fitting it would cause anything from the indicator not working to working very slowly.

Motorcar

I don't have one like that on mine, don't recall seeing on some others either, part of a fording kit?

Disregard what I just said, ran out to the truck and there it is as DieselBob said...line to the restriction indicator mounted on the dash. Sorry, I'm obviously short a cylinder tonight.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is it blocked off?
Unless one of us was at the shop when they plugged it, I doubt that anyone will be able to tell you why. I know that the air cleaner restriction gauge won't work with the obstruction. Clear it and call it a day.

combat32

The Army quit using air restriction gauge years ago, we quit writing them up on 2404"s about 20 years IIRC, it's kinda useless anyway if you service your air cleaner as per -10

SMOKEWAGON66

I concur with everyone above...its the fitting for the air restrictor gauge. You dont need it. Its not vital...nor were any of the ones I ever saw even close to being accurate. Just leave it plugged. Aint gonna hurt or hinder anything, and wont improve perfermance or looks if you unplug it....your call.

Lonesome715

I was never a fan of them either. I would like for it to work simply because it is on the truck. That blockage is in there pretty good, it looks like I will have to drill it out. The line that runs to the gauge is clogged as well. Just at a glance it looks like the work of dirt dobbers though.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Restriction and starting fluid fittings have a "rock" filter in them, that way if the restriction gauge or the line from the starting fluid can breaks, falls off, has been forgot to be installed, whatever, the engine doesn't get filled with dirty, unfiltered air. Remember, the flow will find the path of least resistance. The rock filters make it so the path of least resistance is the intended inlet, the air filter.

phil2968

You beat me to it Will. One good way to clean that filter/fitting is to use carb cleaner and compressed air. If you can blow air through the fitting/filter with your mouth it's clear. Try it and see.

Lonesome715

I did not know any of that. Considering this truck will never see combat and, it is not likely to see any real off road abuse, I mat just delete the whole thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks